Basic probability! using the lottery as means of explaining odds of winning prize

ukdad

Hi guys, new to the forum.

Just wondered if anyone could help me with some basic probability. I used to think I was pretty good at maths, but I was recently helping my daughter with her maths homework and found I was confusing myself and questioning what I was trying to teach her.. I guess modern technology has made my brain lazy over the past 2 decades!

In basic terms, I was using the lottery as a means of explaining the odds of winning a prize. Using the UK Thunderball game as an example shown here https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/games/thunderball/game-procedures I was explaining the 1 in 111 chances of matching 3 numbers to win £10. My daughter then asked.. if you bought 111 tickets would you be guaranteed a £10 prize? To which I confidently answered 'yes, assuming each ticket held a different combination of numbers'

I have since questioned my response, as it doesn't logically add up in my head, and I've struggled to find a simple equation to prove or disprove it.

In the game mentioned above, you chose a line of 5 numbers between 1 - 39. There must be a simple way of working out how many lines would guarantee matching 3 numbers?

I know this will be very basic compared to the standard you guys are at here, but can someone kindly help me put my mind at rest here!? Feeling a bit dumb!

I have since questioned my response, as it doesn't logically add up in my head, and I've struggled to find a simple equation to prove or disprove it. In the game mentioned above, you chose a line of 5 numbers between 1 - 39. There must be a simple way of working out how many lines would guarantee matching 3 numbers?
I confess that I do not follow what you really want.
But there are 575757 ways to select five numbers \(\displaystyle 1\to 39\)
There is a probability of \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{575757}\) of exact match.
Given any selection of five numbers there are ten ways of selecting three. There are 11220 ways for the lottery’s five-selection to match exactly three of your numbers.
That is a probability of \(\displaystyle \dfrac{11220}{575757}\).

Thanks for your reply. My apologies, I didn't explain it too well.

According to the website there is a 1:111 chance of matching 3 of 5 numbers (paying £10).

My daughter asked if that meant that buying 111 different tickets would guarantee a match of 3 from 5 numbers.. I initially said yes, but having given it some thought, that wouldn't seem correct.

In a nutshell, how many tickets are required to guarantee a match of 3 from 5 numbers (of numbers between 1- 39)? And how does one get to the answer?