Break even formula and example

isimmons

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am a math tutor for pre-algebra and beginning algebra so it is a little embarassing to have to ask about this. I was helping a friend and we came to the point in her book where we learn formulas and how to put data from word problems into them. I figured out the fulcrum, ( F1(x) = F2(d-x) ) but for the life of me I can not remember the formula for finding the break even point or how to use it. Unfortunately I don't have her book with me so I can't post the problem.

Can someone please post the formula along with an example word problem and show what numbers get plugged in where in the formula? I even had the answer from the back of the book and could not make sense of it. The problem gave me the cost and fixed cost and asked for the break even point. It doesn't make sense to me with a formula I was able to find on line, (C = mx + b) where b=fixed cost. m is supposed to equal some average which I don't know how to find. Also I've seen something involving R (revenue) and C (cost) but don't know how to find the revenue. I need to figure this out before I try to explain it to my friend because I don't want to add stress and this stuff can be very stressful if it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for any help

Yes fasteddie65, I know what it is but what is the formula and what data gets plugged in where is the problem I am having. I'll try to find a similar problem in one of my old math books and post it. I also understand the concept with word problems of listing what I know and what I'm trying to find and then putting them into an equation to solve for x. This one is just giving me fits.

Thanks

Thank you Dennis. That example gives similar information to the problem in the book. I can use it and make sense of the formula now.