Business Math Algebra

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathdad

The price p (in dollars) and the quantity x sold of a certain product obey the demand equation x = -5p + 100, where 0 < p ≤ 20.

Note: Revenue = xp

See my work per part.

A. Express the revenue R as a function of x. [R(x)].

Solution:

R(x) = xp

Solve the demand equation for p.

x = -5p + 100

x - 100 = -5p

(x - 100)/-5 = p

(-1/5)(x - 100) = p

(-x/5) + 20 = p

R(x) = xp

R(x) = x[(-x/5) + 20]

R(x) = (-x^2)/5 + 20x

B. What is the revenue R if 15 units are sold?

Solution:

I need to find R(15).

R(15) = -(15)^2 + 20(15)

R(15) = 75 dollars

C. What price p (in dollars) should the company charge to maximize revenue?

I know that x = -b/2a is used here, right? Should I be looking for p = -b/2a?

D. What price p (in dollars) should the company charge to earn at least $480 in revenue?

What is the set up for part D?

The price p (in dollars) and the quantity x sold of a certain product obey the demand equation x = -5p + 100, where 0 < p ≤ 20.

Note: Revenue = xp

See my work per part.

Solution:

R(x) = xp

x = -5p + 100

x - 100 = -5p

(x - 100)/-5 = p

(-1/5)(x - 100) = p

(-x/5) + 20 = p

R(x) = xp

R(x) = x[(-x/5) + 20]

R(x) = (-x^2)/5 + 20x

Solution:

I need to find R(15).

R(15) = -(15)^2 + 20(15).....................................................................................Incorrect

R(15) = 75 dollars

I know that x = -b/2a is used here, right? Should I be looking for p = -b/2a?

D. What price p (in dollars) should the company charge to earn at least $480 in revenue?

What is the set up for part D?
R(x) = (-x^2)/5 + 20x

R(15) = (-15^2)/5 + 20*15 = -45 +300 =255

D. What is the amount sold(x, x>0) for R= $480 ?

I hate these questions that ask for optimization of a quadratic without calculus. Yes, there is a solution available without calculus: x has its finite extremum at x = - b/2a. But why teach a method for finding a finite extremum for an extremely narrow class of functions? No one who does not know differential calculus or integer programming is likely to be asked to cope with such problems.

... D. What price p (in dollars) should the company charge to earn at least $480 in revenue?

What is the set up ...?
What is the expression for revenue?

What does it look like, to set an expression to be "at least 480"?

?

C) Don't stress out yet that you are being asked for p. You want the max Revenue. You have R in terms of x. You can find the x value that gives the max R using your formula x=-b/2a. Once you have that x value you can turn it into a p value by using p=(-x/5) + 20

I told you a few times now that it really really is better to bring the variable you are trying to solve for (in this case it was p) to the side which has more p's. This way you will NEVER end up with a negative number of p's.

In the equation x = -5p + 100, the lhs has 0 p's while the rhs side has -5 p's. Since 0>-5, you bring the p's to the lhs. This will give you 5p = 100 - x or p = 20 - x/5

Last edited:
I hate these questions that ask for optimization of a quadratic without calculus. Yes, there is a solution available without calculus: x has its finite extremum at x = - b/2a. But why teach a method for finding a finite extremum for an extremely narrow class of functions? No one who does not know differential calculus or integer programming is likely to be asked to cope with such problems.

I know the basics of differential calculus. How is calculus used to answer this question? What are the steps?

C) Don't stress out yet that you are being asked for p. You want the max Revenue. You have R in terms of x. You can find the x value that gives the max R using your formula x=-b/2a. Once you have that x value you can turn it into a p value by using p=(-x/5) + 20

I told you a few times now that it really really is better to bring the variable you are trying to solve for (in this case it was p) to the side which has more p's. This way you will NEVER end up with a negative number of p's.

In the equation x = -5p + 100, the lhs has 0 p's while the rhs side has -5 p's. Since 0>-5, you bring the p's to the lhs. This will give you 5p = 100 - x or p = 20 - x/5
Let x = -b/2a

x = -20/2(-1/5)

x = -20/(-2/5)

x = 20/(2/5)

x = 100/2

x = 50

Now use 5p = 100 - x to solve for p (in dollars).

5p = 100 - 50

5p = 50

p = 50/5

p = 10 dollars

I know the basics of differential calculus. How is calculus used to answer this question? What are the steps?
Probably 95% or more of the practical use of differential calculus is to find extrema, meaning minima or minima.

Assuming f(x) is differentiable on (a, b), f'(x) is the first derivative, and f''(x) is the second derivative, f'(x) will = 0 at an extremum in the interval, f''(x) will not be less than 0 at a minimum, and f''(x) will not be greater than 0 at a maximum. So you need remember nothing about parabolas to deal with quadratics. You just remember the few simple rules to compute derivative that apply to all differentiable functions. There are particularly easy for quadratics.

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c leads to f'(x) = 2ax + b, which equals 0 iff x = -b/2a, and to f''(x) = 2a, which is not zero if f(x) is not linear.

Virtually all of basic economics is based on differential calculus.

See my work per part.

Solution:

R(x) = xp

x = -5p + 100

x - 100 = -5p

(x - 100)/-5 = p

(-1/5)(x - 100) = p

(-x/5) + 20 = p

R(x) = xp

R(x) = x[(-x/5) + 20]

R(x) = (-x^2)/5 + 20x

Solution:

I need to find R(15).

R(15) = -(15)^2/5 + 20(15)7

R(15) = 255 dollars

Let x = -b/2a

x = -20/2(-1/5)

x = -20/(-2/5)

x = 20/(2/5)

x = 100/2

x = 50

Now use 5p = 100 - x.

5p = 100 - 50

5p = 50

p = 50/5

p = 10 dollars

x = -5p + 100

R(p) = (-5p + 100)p

R(p) = -5p^2 + 100p

Let R(p) = 480

480 = -5p^2 + 100p

5p^2 - 100p + 480 = 0

I got p = 8 and p = 12.

Probably 95% or more of the practical use of differential calculus is to find extrema, meaning minima or minima.

Assuming f(x) is differentiable on (a, b), f'(x) is the first derivative, and f''(x) is the second derivative, f'(x) will = 0 at an extremum in the interval, f''(x) will not be less than 0 at a minimum, and f''(x) will not be greater than 0 at a maximum. So you need remember nothing about parabolas to deal with quadratics. You just remember the few simple rules to compute derivative that apply to all differentiable functions. There are particularly easy for quadratics.

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c leads to f'(x) = 2ax + b, which equals 0 iff x = -b/2a, and to f''(x) = 2a, which is not zero if f(x) is not linear.

Virtually all of basic economics is based on differential calculus.

Good notes for my future study of differential calculus. However, I am currently reviewing college algebra essentials. I just posted my solution to parts A through D. Am I correct per part?

What is left to do with part D?
Part D asks what price the company needs for earning at least $480 in revenue.

The phrase 'at least' means any revenue amount $480 or higher.

All of the values from p=8 through p=12 cause revenue to be $480 or higher.

... I got p = 8 and p = 12.
You reported only the values of p that cause revenue to be exactly $480.

I typed the correct answer in post #13. Did you notice it?

You can see how R(p) is 480 or higher in the interval [8,12] by looking at a graph. Google the following plot command.

plot y=-5*x^2 + 100*x, y=480

?

Part D asks what price the company needs for earning at least $480 in revenue.

The phrase 'at least' means any revenue amount $480 or higher.

All of the values from p=8 through p=12 cause revenue to be $480 or higher.

You reported only the values of p that cause revenue to be exactly $480.

I typed the correct answer in post #13. Did you notice it?

You can see how R(p) is 480 or higher in the interval [8,12] by looking at a graph. Google the following plot command.

plot y=-5*x^2 + 100*x, y=480

?

I am not doing anymore math until next week. I want to keep my word.
I do not understand your response to my question.

Please answer 'yes' or 'no'. Are you finished with this exercise?

\(\;\)

Status
Not open for further replies.