Calculate the determinant of this matrix

Nemanjavuk69

I have the following matrix
[math]\begin{matrix} 1 & 0 & -1\\ 2 & 3 & -1\\ 0 & 6 & 0 \end{matrix}[/math]
Following the text book linear algebra and its applications 6 global edition by David C. Lay on chapter 5.2 we can calculate the determinant by writing the characteristic equation like this
[math]\begin{matrix} 1-\lambda & 0 & -1\\ 2 & 3-\lambda & -1\\ 0 & 6 & -\lambda \end{matrix}[/math]
However, when doing the calculations I always end up with [imath]-\lambda^3+4\lambda^2-3\lambda-6[/imath] and that is not true, the actual equation should be [imath]-\lambda^3+4\lambda^2-9\lambda-6[/imath]

I am row expanding from the first column, so [math]a_{11}, a_{21}, a_{31}[/math]
I can therefor calculate the determinant as followed...
[math](1-\lambda) \cdot \begin{vmatrix} 3-\lambda & -1\\ 6 & -\lambda \end{vmatrix} -2 \cdot \begin{vmatrix} 0 & -1\\ 6 & -\lambda \end{vmatrix}[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot (3-\lambda) \cdot (-\lambda) + 6 - 2 \cdot 6[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot (-3\lambda+\lambda^2) + 6[/math][math]-3\lambda + \lambda^2 + 3\lambda^2 - \lambda^3 - 6[/math][math]-\lambda^3 + 4\lambda^2 - 3\lambda - 6[/math]
However, as stated before, the result is not right. Instead of [imath]-3\lambda[/imath] it should be [imath]-9\lambda[/imath]. Where am I doing something wrong? Any help is gladely appreciated.

I have the following matrix
[math]\begin{matrix} 1 & 0 & -1\\ 2 & 3 & -1\\ 0 & 6 & 0 \end{matrix}[/math]
Following the text book linear algebra and its applications 6 global edition by David C. Lay on chapter 5.2 we can calculate the determinant by writing the characteristic equation like this
[math]\begin{matrix} 1-\lambda & 0 & -1\\ 2 & 3-\lambda & -1\\ 0 & 6 & -\lambda \end{matrix}[/math]
However, when doing the calculations I always end up with [imath]-\lambda^3+4\lambda^2-3\lambda-6[/imath] and that is not true, the actual equation should be [imath]-\lambda^3+4\lambda^2-9\lambda-6[/imath]

I am row expanding from the first column, so [math]a_{11}, a_{21}, a_{31}[/math]
I can therefor calculate the determinant as followed...
[math](1-\lambda) \cdot \begin{vmatrix} 3-\lambda & -1\\ 6 & -\lambda \end{vmatrix} -2 \cdot \begin{vmatrix} 0 & -1\\ 6 & -\lambda \end{vmatrix}[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot (3-\lambda) \cdot (-\lambda) + 6 - 2 \cdot 6[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot (-3\lambda+\lambda^2) + 6[/math][math]-3\lambda + \lambda^2 + 3\lambda^2 - \lambda^3 - 6[/math][math]-\lambda^3 + 4\lambda^2 - 3\lambda - 6[/math]
However, as stated before, the result is not right. Instead of [imath]-3\lambda[/imath] it should be [imath]-9\lambda[/imath]. Where am I doing something wrong? Any help is gladely appreciated.
Your
[math](1-\lambda) \cdot (3-\lambda) \cdot (-\lambda) + 6 - 2 \cdot 6[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot (-3\lambda+\lambda^2) - 6[/math][math]-3\lambda + \lambda^2 + 3\lambda^2 - \lambda^3 - 6[/math][math]-\lambda^3 + 4\lambda^2 - 3\lambda - 6[/math]should be
[math](1-\lambda) \cdot {\color{Red} (}(3-\lambda) \cdot (-\lambda) + 6{\color{Red} )} - 2 \cdot 6[/math][math](1-\lambda) \cdot(-3\lambda+\lambda^2{\color{Red} +6}) {\color{Red} - 12}[/math][math]-3\lambda + \lambda^2 {\color{Red} +6} + 3\lambda^2 - \lambda^3 {\color{Red} - 6\lambda - 12}[/math][math]-\lambda^3 + 4\lambda^2 - {\color{Red} 9}\lambda - 6[/math]

I can [therefore] calculate the determinant as [follows]
(1−λ)⋅(3−λ)⋅(−λ)+6−2⋅6
Hi Nemanjavuk69. I'm getting a different polynomial. Is your work missing grouping symbols shown below? :)

(1 − λ)⋅((3 − λ)⋅(−λ) + 6) − 12
[imath]\;[/imath]

What are you talking about!
This 3x3 matrix that you said you want the determinant of only has real numbers as its entry. Therefore the determinant IS a real number and NOT a polynomial in λ.

Please please state the correct question!

What are you talking about!
This 3x3 matrix that you said you want the determinant of only has real numbers as its entry. Therefore the determinant IS a real number and NOT a polynomial in λ.

Please please state the correct question!
I chose not to point this out initially, in order to focus on the main issue; but now I will:
I believe what was intended (or should have been!) is

we can calculate the characteristic equation by writing the determinant like this:​

I hope that makes the error in the statement of the problem clearer.

dear @Dr.Peterson and @Otis thank you for pointing out the missing parenthesis, that is what I was missing. Thank you both for helping me out. Have a wonderful day/ night forward!