Calculation the number of combinations...

jamie5358

Hi all! Newbie here, and have sooooo many questions! I suck at maths, and always have, hence some of my questions could be answered with a sarcastic "Let me google that for you"! However, I want to understand the workings, so I don't have to ask again!

First up, how many possible combinations (range?) are there between 00 to zz, and if someone would kindly break down the working, I would be very grateful!

Many thanks indeed for you help!! :)

Hi all! Newbie here, and have sooooo many questions! I suck at maths, and always have, hence some of my questions could be answered with a sarcastic "Let me google that for you"! However, I want to understand the workings, so I don't have to ask again!

First up, how many possible combinations (range?) are there between 00 to zz, and if someone would kindly break down the working, I would be very grateful!

Many thanks indeed for you help!! :)

I am going to assume you want to fill up two "slots" with 36 symbols [00, 01, 02.......xz, yz,zz] - without any restrictions

If that is correct then

The first slot can be filled out 36 ways.

For each way the first slot is filled up - the second slot can be filled out 36 ways.

So both slots can be filled up in 36 x 36 [ = 362] ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to think about this: Write 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, a, b, c, ..., x, y, z across the top of a sheet of paper. Write the same thing vertically on the left side. We can think of the pair "8p", for example, as where the column under "8" meets the row to the right of "p". So each pair fills a space in this rectangular array. I presume that you have learned enough mathematics to know that the area of a rectangle is "height times width". Here, both height and width are 36.