Calculus 1-3 Self-Study

mathdad

I am currently reviewing College Algebra by Michael Sullivan, Edition 9. After completing my algebra review, I plan to start a self-study of Calculus 1-3. Will I receive proper help and guidance here?

... After completing my algebra review, I plan to start a self-study of Calculus 1-3.
Hello mathdad. Are you comfortable with basic trigonometry? How about other precalculus topics? For examples: root-finding techniques, synthetic division of polynomials, logarithmic and exponential functions, basic function composition, inverse functions, parameterization, analytic geometry, systems of multiple equations and variables solved via linear algebra and matrix arithmetic, sequences, series and a deeper understanding about the concept known as infinity.

Here are two good reasons to study precalculus topics before learning calculus.

1) Precalculus gives you a lot of opportunities to practice algebra skills and become more adept at symbolic reasoning and abstract thinking. (Calculus is often abstract, and we use a lot of symbolism to deal with abstractions.)

2) Algebra, trigonometry and other precalculus knowledge allow you to DO calculus, as you learn it. Many students fail initially because they're unprepared to study all of the prerequisite knowledge they need at the same time they're trying to absorb the abstract ideas of calculus and follow unfamiliar steps (from precalculus) in worked examples.

Will I receive proper help and guidance here?
I would say so! Of course, I don't know what you're thinking, when you say 'proper'. Have you looked at threads on the calculus board? For an example, see whether you can follow the first five posts which talk about setting up a perimeter function (using an angle as input) for this calculus scenario. Cheers

?

Hello mathdad. Are you comfortable with basic trigonometry? How about other precalculus topics? For examples: root-finding techniques, synthetic division of polynomials, logarithmic and exponential functions, basic function composition, inverse functions, parameterization, analytic geometry, systems of multiple equations and variables solved via linear algebra and matrix arithmetic, sequences, series and a deeper understanding about the concept known as infinity.

Here are two good reasons to study precalculus topics before learning calculus.

1) Precalculus gives you a lot of opportunities to practice algebra skills and become more adept at symbolic reasoning and abstract thinking. (Calculus is often abstract, and we use a lot of symbolism to deal with abstractions.)

2) Algebra, trigonometry and other precalculus knowledge allow you to DO calculus, as you learn it. Many students fail initially because they're unprepared to study all of the prerequisite knowledge they need at the same time they're trying to absorb the abstract ideas of calculus and follow unfamiliar steps (from precalculus) in worked examples.

I would say so! Of course, I don't know what you're thinking, when you say 'proper'. Have you looked at threads on the calculus board? For an example, see whether you can follow the first five posts which talk about setting up a perimeter function (using an angle as input) for this calculus scenario. Cheers

?

I took Pre-calculus in the Spring 1993 semester at Lehman College in the Bronx, New York and got an A minus in the course. I took the course as an elective needed for graduation the following year. Through the years, I have reviewed as much of the course as possible. I am familiar with some of the topics you listed. However, I may decide to study PRE-CALCULUS FOR DUMMIES (a basic review) before stepping into Calculus 1. By the way, I am not a student. I am 54 years old. I just can't get enough math.

I took Pre-calculus in the Spring 1993 semester at Lehman College in the Bronx, New York and got an A minus in the course. I took the course as an elective needed for graduation the following year. Through the years, I have reviewed as much of the course as possible. I am familiar with some of the topics you listed. However, I may decide to study PRE-CALCULUS FOR DUMMIES (a basic review) before stepping into Calculus 1. By the way, I am not a student. I am 54 years old. I just can't get enough math.
... Through the years, I have reviewed [precalculus]

...By the way, I am not a student ... just can't get enough math.
Perfect. You can jump into calculus anytime. When you recognize something familiar but you need review, you know how to look it up. If the sticking point is not familiar, then you can ask here.

?

Perfect. You can jump into calculus anytime. When you recognize something familiar but you need review, you know how to look it up. If the sticking point is not familiar, then you can ask here.

?

I am currently reviewing college algebra, which covers intermediate algebra extensively. I will then step into calculus 1. I know how take the derivative of basic functions and how to integrate basic function. However, my self-study of calculus will be very detailed and academic.