Calculus 1

Hira Javaid

Naomi is a business major who invented a remote control that transforms bad professors into good ones. She is currently selling 2000 remotes per month to students at a price of $10 each.
(a) How much revenue is she currently making per month?
Naomi believes she can make a larger profit by increasing the price on each remote.
(b) If the price per remote becomes $10 + x, how much revenue will Naomi now be making per month? Write an expression involving x.
As the price per remotes go up, fewer students can afford the cost. Students start to opt out of buying one.
(c) If the number of students buying remotes per month is 2000 − 20x, how much revenue is Naomi now making per month? Write an expression involving x.
(d) Naomi decides to use her knowledge of calculus to make more money. How much more than $10 should she sell each remote for to maximize her revenue?

Solution:
I need to confirm first three parts and need help in proceeding last part.

a) Revenue=10×2000=20000

b) revenue=(10+x)(2000)

c)revenue=(2000-20x)/10

Am i solving these parts right or not kindly please help.
thanks

I need to confirm first three parts and need help in proceeding last part.

a) Revenue=10×2000=20000

b) revenue=(10+x)(2000)

c)revenue=(2000-20x)/10
Can you explain your thinking for part (c)? Once that's right, we can move on to (d).

I think in part c expressiom for number of students is given and we know that she sells a remote for $10, and we need to find the revenue she is making per month. So wrote the expression for this as (2000-20x)/10 but now i think it should be (2000-20x)(10) may be to get the revenue. I don't know exactly, i am confused

So i got to know that the actual revenue for part c will be (2000-20x)(10+x).
For part d i think i would need to find x..am i right?

So i got to know that the actual revenue for part c will be (2000-20x)(10+x).
For part d i think i would need to find x..am i right?
(d) Naomi decides to use her knowledge of calculus to make more money. How much more than $10 should she sell each remote for to maximize her revenue?
Yes, it will be a value of x; do you know how to maximize an expression like this? (You actually don't need calculus, but you were told to do so.)

I think it would take a week to get to know about the solution i am sorry(just saying it because of so much delay in comment approval)

I think we need to differentiate it to get maximum value...and then find x
Just do it! You don't need to wait for approval before continuing.

What do you get when you differentiate y = (2000-20x)(10+x)? You may want to expand the expression first.

I think it would take a week to get to know about the solution i am sorry(just saying it because of so much delay in comment approval)
You should no longer have the delay:

You got very useful response (direction) within ~24 hrs. You posted your problem in a "free" website supported by VOLUNTEER tutors - from half-way-around the world (with ~12 hr. time difference). So when you are waiting for "free" response - we are sleeping here.

If you want more timely response - you should probably check into multiple "paid" math-sites that are available (or may be a private tutor).