Calculus 3 question

G

Hi everyone
How are you?

I'm having trouble with this question here:

Find the moment Mxy with respect to the xy-plane for the top half of the unit ball centered at the origin. That is, evaluate

SSSR z dV,
where R is the portion of the unit ball centered at the origin that lies about the xy-plane.

p.s.
The S's are the triple integral signs.

I know how to do a unit ball if it's the whole unit ball, but I don't know what my limits would be if I only take the top half.

This is what I'm assuming it to be:

c <= pi/2 <= d, weird symbol <= pi <= weird symbol, 0 <= p <= 1 and then z would be cos phi, I think phi is the right word for it, since z = cos phi

Anyway, thanks for the help on this.

Take care,
Beckie

In spherical coordinates, \(\displaystyle z={\rho}cos({\phi})\)

In rectangular coordinates we have:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-\1}^{1}\int_{-\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}^{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}\int_0^{\sqrt{1-x^{2}-y^{2}}zdzdydx\)

In spherical coordinates we have:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_0^{1}{\rho}cos({\phi}){\rho}^{2}sin({\phi})d{\rho}d{\phi}d{\theta}\)

Is this what you wanted?. I hope I'm correct after all that LaTexing. :lol:

FYI, I don't know what your "weird symbol" is but that "p-looking" symbol is the Greek letter rho, the little circle with the line through it is phi, and of course, you know theta.

Hi Galactus
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

You are my hero :)

I wish I knew how to put those little symbols in.

How come theta is 2pi and 0? Is it because if I take the z^2 out of the equation it would become x^2 + y^2 = 1 and then that limit would be 2pi and 0?

Does the pi/2 come from the x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 with the top half of the sphere?

Sorry if I'm not wording this right. Let me know if this sounds confusing.

Thanks
Take care,
Beckie

Think of \(\displaystyle {\phi}\) as latitude and \(\displaystyle {\theta}\) as longitude.

Picture \(\displaystyle {\phi}\) running from the North Pole down to the equator. Because you only have half a sphere, you only need \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\).

\(\displaystyle {\theta}\) goes around the equator. It goes from 0 to \(\displaystyle 2{\pi}\)

because it completes the circle in the xy plane.

Clear as mud?. There should be a picture in your text explaining this.

If you're interested in knowing how I formatted the post, click on quote and check out the LaTex code I used.