Calculus Question!!

zelda12

f(x,y)=3xy^2-x-y
a) find the equation of the tangent place to the graph of f(x,y) at the point (2,1,3)

b) use the linear approximation to estimate the value of f(2.1,0.9)

c) find the directional derivative of f at (2,1) in the direction of i+j

I was able to get the normal vector of <2,11,0>, but now I am stuck and am not sure if that is even right..

I was able to get the normal vector of <2,11,0>, but now I am stuck and am not sure if that is even right..
Please show us how you calculated the normal vector of the tangent plane - numerically and in detail.

f(x,y)=3xy^2-x-y
a) find the equation of the tangent place to the graph of f(x,y) at the point (2,1,3)

b) use the linear approximation to estimate the value of f(2.1,0.9)

c) find the directional derivative of f at (2,1) in the direction of i+j
Did you learn about the equation of the tangent plane to a surface?

I remember apply it in a 2d space, but dont knoww how to apply it in a 3d space
Please study the link above and see if you can apply it to your problem.

okay thank you!! So I feel good about the tangant plane, I got 12=2x+11y-z, and the approximation i got 2.1!!

I am still stuck on the direction derivative and its notation..

okay thank you!! So I feel good about the tangant plane, I got 12=2x+11y-z, and the approximation i got 2.1!!

Please show us how you calculated the normal vector of the tangent plane - numerically and in detail.
Please share your work in detail. We can guide you to the answer of "directional derivative" from there.

Here's another link for directional derivative:

Personally I don't feel too good about your equation for the tangent plane. Which means that one of us got it wrong. Do you want to share your work on this one?

Formally speaking, "one of us" does not necessarily mean "only one of us", does it?;) But in this particular case I believe @zelda12 -- as well as @BigBeachBananas -- got it right.

Yes, it means "only" one of you. It is necessarily singular. If you mean possibly more than one, you can state, "at least one."

Example: "One of us will do it." Both of you will not do it.
Example: "Give it to one of us." It will not be given to both of you.

Last edited: