Can anyone help solve and explain this problem

Tubbage

Pen & ruler = 95p
Pen & rubber = 63p
Ruler & rubber = 48p

How much for 5 pens?

I will get you started. Let x = the number of pens and y = the number of rulers.
Then x + y = 95.
See if you can write algebra equations for the other two equations. You can submit your work on the equations to the forum and ask for my help of you need it.

Pen & ruler = 95p ................................(1)
Pen & rubber = 63p ................................(2)
Ruler & rubber = 48p ................................(3)

How much for 5 pens?
Hint: Assuming that data given above is:

1 pen & 1 ruler = 95p ................................(1)

1 pen & 1 rubber = 63p ................................(2)

1 ruler & 1 rubber = 48p ................................(3)

Subtract (3) from (1):

(1 pen + 1 ruler) - ( 1 ruler + 1 rubber) = (95 - 48) p

Continue......

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

I will get you started. Let x = the number of pens and y = the number of rulers.
Then x + y = 95.
That makes no sense! A number of things cannot add to a quantity of money. I believe you mean that x is the cost of one pen and y is the cost of one ruler.

See if you can write algebra equations for the other two equations. You can submit your work on the equations to the forum and ask for my help of you need it.

I honestly just wanted the answer to the question and then a brief explanation. I was just helping my 8 year old granddaughter with her homework and thought if someone gave me the answer and explanation I could then help her.

I honestly just wanted the answer to the question and then a brief explanation. I was just helping my 8 year old granddaughter with her homework and thought if someone gave me the answer and explanation I could then help her.
Did you look at the response #3 above? Are you saying you could not proceed beyond that? Please discuss that response with your grand-daughter. If she under stands it - she should be able proceed beyond that!

Please let us know your granddaughter's response after your discussion. If she (or you) did not understand some step/s, tell us which step! We can continue from there....

If I were helping her face to face, I would ask to see her textbook (or whatever sort of material she has) to check how they are doing problems of this sort in class. One possibility is a visual technique where they might draw bars representing the various quantities.

It's helpful to know she is only 8, which would have been good to know from the start; but my answer would really depend on what she has seen. You put this under beginning algebra, which suggests she may have some exposure to variables in some form, but she probably hasn't seen problems with three variables. On the other hand, a visual method is essentially algebra in disguise, and post #3 is algebra without actual variables.

@ Tubbage - You just need to delete your account, because you are not willing
to use this site as it needs to be used. Getting the answer from another site is
not getting help. It's being lazy.

Let x = the number of pens and y = the number of rulers, z=number of rubber
X+Y=95p..........1
X+z=63p..........2
Y+z=48p...........3
Solve the rest by substituting til you get a value for x
And later multiply it by 5

I reported user Tubbage`s posts in private messages for offensive attacks on me, this site, and a threat to me.
I asked for him to be banned. He has no place in the forum, and he admits to contempt for the site, anyway.
Also, either please delete this thread or lock it. Thank you.

I reported user Tubbage`s posts in private messages for offensive attacks on me, this site, and a threat to me.
I asked for him to be banned. He has no place in the forum, and he admits to contempt for the site, anyway.
Also, either please delete this thread or lock it. Thank you.

I've sent a private message to the OP. I would prefer to see how that is received, and to allow this discussion to proceed if desired.

I've sent a private message to the OP. I would prefer to see how that is received, and to allow this discussion to proceed if desired.

This is not good enough. Please access the conversations between Tubbage
and me that I initiated. All the proof is there. I am contacting Ted now regarding
what I already stated, because none of what I requested has been acted on.

MarkFL - I put an invitation to Ted and to you on the PM between Tubbage
and me so hopefully each of you can read to what I am referring.

MarkFL - I put an invitation to Ted and to you on the PM between Tubbage
and me so hopefully each of you can read to what I am referring.

I didn't get the invitation. I would like to see what led up to the reported PC messages.

I didn't get the invitation. I would like to see what led up to the reported PC messages.

I do not have copy-and-paste ability on this hand-held device. So, I will enter
pertinent sections in parts.

Private Messaging

Me: We are not here to give out answers. It is a help site. There is an introduction
page that explains the expectation of users.

Tubbage: You are way too anal on this site. Way too anal. I already got my
answer on another site days ago. This site has virtually no members and had
z negative feelings to it. You are obsolete.

Me: If you got your answer on another site, then they were not helping you,
because as helpers/tutors, we are supposed to help you with where you are
stuck, not give out answers. You are attacking us, while showing at the same
time that you are lazy.

Tubbage: You poor regard. You assumed the other site didn't provide an
explanation. They did. A very fine one at that. [ ... ] I did actually state in my
post of this obsolete site of yours that I was also was wanting an explanation.
Not just an answer. You clearly don't even read post correctly.

You are quite obsolete and useless. No wonder this site has few visitors or
members. [ ...] Time you shut down this garbage site old boy.

Oh and by the way. I no longer wish to receive messages from you. Contact
me again and I will contact the police and report you for harassment alarm
and distress.

Last edited:
MarkFL, due to time limitations of editing in 30 minutes, note this crucial correction needed to be made, because the computer made what it thought
was a correction. The following was the actual:

Tubbage: You poor retard. ...

I'm not trying to say anything against you lookagain as I don't know what the messages said. But this conversation really should have been private.

-Dan

I'm not trying to say anything against you lookagain as I don't know what the messages said. But this conversation really should have been private.

-Dan

The point of posting is that MarkFL stated he did not get an invitation to private
message that I sent him. I needed any of the moderators or the administrator
to see what was was stated in private messaging to have an opportunity to
take action.