Can someone help me with this

Is this a joke? You want a helper on a math help forum to do your work for you? I assure you that no helper here would think that would be helpful to you. Read the posting guidelines, post back following those guidelines and get the best help available.

Last edited:
Is this a joke? You want a helper on a math help forum to do your work for you? I assure you that no helper here would think that would be helpful to you. Read the posting guidelines, post back following those guidelines and get the best help available.
Look, I just want someone to point me in the right direction. Like in the first problem, there are 4 different values for x because x ≠ 1, so there's more than one value for the first sum. Therefore I think I'm doing something wrong and I don't know how to start.

What is the sum of:

a + a*x + a*x2 + a*x3 + a*x4 + .... +a*xn-1 + x*n = ?
not relevant

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Last edited by a moderator:
@X049
What you say is correct for the second sum, so I wonder have they made a mistake with their indices in the second one.
They may mean [MATH]x^{2021}=1[/MATH] and mean to finish with [MATH]\frac{1}{1+x^{2020}}[/MATH], to mirror the first question.
In any case, there is one answer for all 5 roots in the first part (but you can find it trivially for x=1).
Looking at the first one, you should be able to complete the next one.

[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{1}{1+x}+\frac{1}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{1+x^3}+\frac{1}{1+x^4}[/MATH]
Now [MATH]x^5=1[/MATH], so everywhere you see a 1, write [MATH]x^5[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{x^5}{x^5+x}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^2}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^3}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^4}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{x^4}{1+x^4}+\frac{x^3}{1+x^3}+\frac{x^2}{1+x^2}+\frac{x}{1+x}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=1-\frac{1}{1+x^4}+1-\frac{1}{1+x^3}+1-\frac{1}{1+x^2}+1-\frac{1}{1+x}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=4-\Sigma[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore \Sigma=2[/MATH]

Look, I just want someone to point me in the right direction. Like in the first problem, there are 4 different values for x because x ≠ 1, so there's more than one value for the first sum. Therefore I think I'm doing something wrong and I don't know how to start.
Jomo was (rudely) asking you to tell us what help you need, by either showing your thoughts or asking a specific question. You've now more or less done that.

Lex has offered an idea (in fact, a full solution to the first part). Here's another suggestion:

First, the fact that x might be one of 4 different values doesn't necessarily imply that the sum has more than one value! In fact, the question hints that there might be something interesting to investigate about the sum. (When a problem looks wrong, maybe it's just amazing. Trust the author and give it a try.)

Playing with various ideas, I wondered if any pairs of terms might add up to a constant. Think about adding the first and last term, and then the two middle terms. What happens in each case?

@Dr.Peterson
Yes, the method I used shows that the first term is 1-(last term) etc...like your own method.
In your own method, to deal with an odd number of terms it's worth writing a second copy of the sum in reverse order below and adding first and last etc.. to get twice the sum - as in the method I used.
A curious, but interesting question.

How can you say that. You didn't even write anything. You just posted an image. From an image you want me to assume that you're asking for a hint. I was born at night, just not last night.

How do you know that just because you plug in different x-values that there will be more than one sum?

Jomo was (rudely) asking you to tell us what help you need, by either showing your thoughts or asking a specific question. You've now more or less done that.

Lex has offered an idea (in fact, a full solution to the first part). Here's another suggestion:

First, the fact that x might be one of 4 different values doesn't necessarily imply that the sum has more than one value! In fact, the question hints that there might be something interesting to investigate about the sum. (When a problem looks wrong, maybe it's just amazing. Trust the author and give it a try.)

Playing with various ideas, I wondered if any pairs of terms might add up to a constant. Think about adding the first and last term, and then the two middle terms. What happens in each case?
yeah i admit I wasn't very specific with my doubts sorry. And thanks for the other suggestion i will think about it.

Last edited:
@X049
I can't see your post but:

e.g. [MATH]\frac{x^4}{1+x^4}=\frac{1+x^4-1}{1+x^4}=\frac{1+x^4}{1+x^4}-\frac{1}{1+x^4}=1-\frac{1}{1+x^4}[/MATH] etc...

@X049
What you say is correct for the second sum, so I wonder have they made a mistake with their indices in the second one.
They may mean [MATH]x^{2021}=1[/MATH] and mean to finish with [MATH]\frac{1}{1+x^{2020}}[/MATH], to mirror the first question.
In any case, there is one answer for all 5 roots in the first part (but you can find it trivially for x=1).
Looking at the first one, you should be able to complete the next one.

[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{1}{1+x}+\frac{1}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{1+x^3}+\frac{1}{1+x^4}[/MATH]
Now [MATH]x^5=1[/MATH], so everywhere you see a 1, write [MATH]x^5[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{x^5}{x^5+x}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^2}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^3}+\frac{x^5}{x^5+x^4}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=\frac{x^4}{1+x^4}+\frac{x^3}{1+x^3}+\frac{x^2}{1+x^2}+\frac{x}{1+x}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=1-\frac{1}{1+x^4}+1-\frac{1}{1+x^3}+1-\frac{1}{1+x^2}+1-\frac{1}{1+x}[/MATH]
[MATH]\Sigma=4-\Sigma[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore \Sigma=2[/MATH]
Thanks a lot you really helped :)

Reactions: lex
@X049
I can't see your post but:

e.g. [MATH]\frac{x^4}{1+x^4}=\frac{1+x^4-1}{1+x^4}=\frac{1+x^4}{1+x^4}-\frac{1}{1+x^4}=1-\frac{1}{1+x^4}[/MATH] etc...
yeah after i posted i figured it out, but thanks.