Can someone please explain why 1+2+3+...+n equals (n+1)_C_2 ?

Steven G

Elite Member
Can someone please explain why 1+2+3+...+n = (n+1)C2? Of course I know that they both equal n(n+1)/2. What I am really asking is why is choosing 2 objects from (n+1) objects the same as adding up the 1st n positive integers?

Being able to prove that two are equal and seeing why the two are equal are not always the same!

Can someone please explain why 1+2+3+...+n = (n+1)C2? Of course I know that they both equal n(n+1)/2. What I am really asking is why is choosing 2 objects from (n+1) objects the same as adding up the 1st n positive integers?

Being able to prove that two are equal and seeing why the two are equal are not always the same!

There isn't always a direct answer to a "why" question. But here, at least we can see that both expressions answer the same question.

That question is, given n+1 items, how many pairs are there? As it is commonly asked, if there are n+1 people in a room, and everyone shakes hands with everyone else exactly once, how many handshakes are done? Or, if you put n+1 dots equally spaced around a circle and connect each one to all the others, how many lines do you draw?

Obviously (n+1)C2 answers the question.

But now let's count the pairs. The first person pairs with the n other people. The second person pairs with the first (that pair is already counted) and also with the n-1 people remaining. Continue like that, and the next to last person pairs with the last person; the last person's shakes are already counted.

So the total is n + (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 2 + 1, which is your sum.

This could be made into a nice colored animation, and probably someone has done it. I didn't invent this!

Choose 2 out of 4 (A, B, C, D)

A and 1 of 3 (B, C, D) = 3
B and 1 of 2 (C, D) = 2
C and 1 of 1 (D) = 1
1+2+3 = 6 = sum of first 3 ints.

Or: \(\displaystyle _{n+1}C_2= \dfrac{(n+1)!}{2(n+1- 2)!}= \dfrac{(n+1)!}{2(n- 1)!}\)

But \(\displaystyle \dfrac{(n+1)!}{(n-1)!}= \dfrac{(n+ 1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(3)(2)(1)}{(n-1)(n-2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(3)(2)(1)}= (n+1)n\) because all the other terms cancel.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can check it out with the visual

Code:
1 1
1 2  1
1 3  3  1
1 4  6  4  1
1 5 10 10  5  1
1 6 15 20 15  6 1
1 7 21 35 35 21 7 1

Wander on down column 2. When you want to stop, skip to column 3. One might call this a natural development of binomial coefficients, I suppose.