Carlo has x dollars. He has 2 times as much as Sam. Ann has 681 more than Sam.

yoo

Carlo has x dollars. He has 2 times as much as Sam. Ann has 681 more than Sam. How much does Ann have?
Which is the right answer? x/2 + 681 or 2x + 681? Thank you very much for the help..

Carlo has x dollars. He has 2 times as much as Sam. Ann has 681 more than Sam. How much does Ann have?
Which is the right answer? x/2 + 681 or 2x + 681? Thank you very much for the help..
How much does Sam have?

Which is the right answer? x/2 + 681 or 2x + 681? Thank you very much for the
help..
(Help is all you will get here; we do not just give out answers.)
Hi @yoo,

Which answer do you think is correct?

Please explain why you think that is the correct answer and we will offer you further advice if necessary or confirm that your reasoning is correct.

We
won't just tell you the correct answer but will be happy to help you reach it if you show us your thinking (and it needs any help).

You were given a good starting point (above) by @blamocur.

Once you can say how much Sam has (compared to Carlo and using "
x" to do this), you can then consider how much Ann has compared to Sam.
That should put you on the right road to the correct answer.

Please come back and show us your attempt to solve this problem.

You will then get further help if needed. ?

Last edited:
Hi @yoo,

Which answer do you think is correct?

Please explain why you think that is the correct answer and we will offer you further advice if necessary or confirm that your reasoning is correct.

We
won't just tell you the correct answer but will be happy to help you reach it if you show us your thinking (and it needs any help).

You were given a good starting point (above) by @blamocur.

Once you can say how much Sam has (compared to Carlo and using "
x" to do this), you can then consider how much Ann has compared to Sam.
That should put you on the right road to the correct answer.

Please come back and show us your attempt to solve this problem.

You will then get further help if needed. ?
Carlo = x. Lets say Sam=y. So Carlo = 2y, then x=2y and (Sam)y=x/2. Ann = Sam+681 = x/2 + 681. My answer is x/2 + 681 but my teachers say otherwise..

Carlo = x. Lets say Sam=y. So Carlo = 2y, then x=2y and (Sam)y=x/2. Ann = Sam+681 = x/2 + 681. My answer is x/2 + 681 but my teachers say otherwise..
What does your teacher say and why? Did you give us the entire problem? Based on what you posted, your answer of x/2 + 681 is correct.

Last edited:
Good effort, @yoo, (though there was really no need to introduce a "y"; you could just have gone straight to: "Sam has x/2" ?).

Your answer is correct and your "
teachers" are therefore wrong (and you can tell 'em we said so ??) unless, as @Steven G suggests, you haven't told us the whole "story". ?

Is there anything you missed out?

Have your "
teachers" explained why they think that's not correct?

If not, then maybe you need to find yourself some new "
teachers"! ?

They explained but i believed they interpreted it wrong. Now Im vindicated for standing up to them. Thanks much for the help.

there was really no need to introduce a "y"
I think it's a very good idea for beginning algebra students to assign symbols for abstract quantities — and then to form expressions and equations in their work — because it really helps to grow the neural webs involved with symbolic reasoning. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]