Changing volume by a factor of 10

Spiritdark

In a game that I play, a spell effect that affects a certain volume can be increased 'by a factor of 10'...

Does this mean the total cubic ft would be multiplied by 10? Or would you actually multiply each side by 10 (which would yield a 1000% increase in volume?

The game book does not explain what they mean by 'increase the spell effect by a factor of 10'.

In a game that I play, a spell effect that affects a certain volume can be increased 'by a factor of 10'...

Does this mean the total cubic ft would be multiplied by 10? Or would you actually multiply each side by 10 (which would yield a 1000% increase in volume?

The game book does not explain what they mean by 'increase the spell effect by a factor of 10'.
My interpretation would be: \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \) "this means the total cubic ft would be multiplied by 10"

If you multiplied each side of the cube 10 by 10 - then the new volume would be 1000 times of the old volume and the volume would have increased by 99900 %.

Alas the writer of the game may not be maths literate, so I am confused also.

Yeah, I went with the answer above yours after reasoning it out.

The spell in question removes earth to create a pit. The current spell measures 2,916ft3, or 18ftx18ftx9ft. If you learn the spell at +1 magnitude it says to increase a spells effect by a factor of 10.

If I was to multiply each side by 10, that's 180ftx180ftx90ft deep hole.... which seems a tad excessive to me lol.

The GM of the game said 'Good luck with that... a 90ft deep hole in the ground would probably have its side collapsing creating hazardous ground conditions in the area around it'. I tend to agree so we are going to stick with the 10x total volume method as being the intended interpretation.