Circle equation

Ana.stasia

Determine the equation of a circle containing point A (5,2), tangent to the abscissa and having radius r = 5.

I am not sure where this translation is correct so I drew a picture. The point is that the circle touches the abscissa.

I thought about using the point where the circle touches the abscissa (x, 0), however the solution takes a different approach. It says q=r=5. S(p, q) is the center if a circle in my book.

I do not understand how q=r=5. Please explain.

IMG_20210313_202034.jpg

Determine the equation of a circle containing point A (5,2), tangent to the abscissa and having radius r = 5.

I am not sure where this translation is correct so I drew a picture. The point is that the circle touches the abscissa.

I thought about using the point where the circle touches the abscissa (x, 0), however the solution takes a different approach. It says q=r=5. S(p, q) is the center if a circle in my book.

I do not understand how q=r=5. Please explain.
If you are right in your translation, then "tangent" means more than you are taking it to mean. The circle not only passes through a point on the x-axis (which you call the abscissa), it must be tangent to it (merely touching), like this (where I have used a different radius, 3.25, to avoid giving away the answer):

1615664957825.png

Do you see that q = r = 3.25?

(By the way, in English, at least in my experience, the word "abscissa" refers to the x-coordinate of a point (a number), not to the x-axis (a line). But I can understand it being used your way elsewhere.)

If you are right in your translation, then "tangent" means more than you are taking it to mean. The circle not only passes through a point on the x-axis (which you call the abscissa), it must be tangent to it (merely touching), like this (where I have used a different radius, 3.25, to avoid giving away the answer):

View attachment 25697

Do you see that q = r = 3.25?

(By the way, in English, at least in my experience, the word "abscissa" refers to the x-coordinate of a point (a number), not to the x-axis (a line). But I can understand it being used your way elsewhere.)

Thank you, I solved it now.