Coinciding conundrum

Theren

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling on this problem for a bit now and can't find any books to help me with it.

f(x)= x2 - 6x + 2
g(x) = 2 - x2

(i) Find the two values of x for which f(x) and g(x) coincide.
(ii) Find the values of f(x) which correspond to the values of x in part (i)

I'd really appreciate some guidance on how to solve these questions or any steps to help with the questions.

Hello everyone, can't find any books to help me with it.
f(x)= x2 - 6x + 2
g(x) = 2 - x2

(i) Find the two values of x for which f(x) and g(x) coincide.
(ii) Find the values of f(x) which correspond to the values of x in part (i)

Can you solve \(\displaystyle 2-x^2=x^2-6x+2~?\)

Can you solve \(\displaystyle 2-x^2=x^2-6x+2~?\)

Would any of these be correct?
[FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x2 [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]= [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]6[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]

1. + x2 [/FONT]
[FONT=MathJax_Main]on each side making 2 = 2x2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main] - 6x + 2
2. +6x
on each side making 2 + 6x = 2x2 + 2
3. -2
on each side making 6x = 2x2

​Second Attempt

[/FONT]
[FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x2 [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]= [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]6[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]

1. + [/FONT]
[FONT=MathJax_Main]x2 [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]on each side making 2 = 2x2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main] - 6x + 2
[/FONT]
-2 [FONT=MathJax_Main]on each side making[/FONT]2x2- 6x = 0
3. Put the equation into the quadratic formula giving the result of x = 3 and x = 0

Last edited: