Combining like terms question

mgodi

I am studying algebra through Khan Academy and was doing really well with the foundational part until I reached a problem involving "combining like terms with rational coefficients." It involved equivalent expressions and matching them. I had no idea what to do with this problem below. I know the basics of distribution when a number is just outside the parenthesis on the left side, but I'm stuck here. I don't know how you would go about writing this in other terms or the rules. Can someone help?

(5g+3h+4) • 2

I am studying algebra through Khan Academy and was doing really well with the foundational part until I reached a problem involving "combining like terms with rational coefficients." It involved equivalent expressions and matching them. I had no idea what to do with this problem below. I know the basics of distribution when a number is just outside the parenthesis on the left side, but I'm stuck here. I don't know how you would go about writing this in other terms or the rules. Can someone help?

(5g+3h+4) • 2
This is no different than 2(5g+3h+4). Multiplication works the same on both sides. (It's commutative.)