completley lost (math b)

WEEGEE SEE ALL

my teacher through me to the dogs. i have NO math b knowledge. but my teacher gave me these 3 problems because i was doing "too good" in math a.these are all all or nothing if i dont get these 3 its an automatic fail. hes counting it as a test and project which is 50% of the grade together.

1. is 1/2 sin 2x the same expression as sin x? justify your answer (i dont even know where to start)

2. a ball is rolling in a circular path that has a radius of 10 inches. what distance has the ball rolled when the subtended arc is 54 degrees.express you answer to the nearest hundredth of an inch( i only know what a subtended arc is because the booklet has a diagram. since its a radius i know both lines are 10 inches and the inside angle is also 54 degrees.in the end thats all useless knowledge because that doesnt help me change that degree to inches(also i cant explain how i know that inside angle is also 54 i just know)

3.a set of normally distributed student test scores has a mean of 80 and a standard deviation of 4. determine the probability that a randomly selected score will be in between 74 and 82.(im lost on this too. i dont know what a deviation is and i dont know exactly what they want me to figure out since they didnt give me a number of people)

im not expecting an answer from anyone just an explanation of what i have to do. in the end i need to explain how i solved this so the explanation is somewhat more important than the answer. im in a catch the fish or teach the man to fish situation

1. is 1/2 sin 2x the same expression as sin x? justify your answer (i dont even know where to start)

Do you remember the identity for sin 2x? sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x.

So is (1/2) sin 2x the same as sin x?

BTW, use parentheses around fractions.

2. a ball is rolling in a circular path that has a radius of 10 inches. what distance has the ball rolled when the subtended arc is 54 degrees.

Do you know how many degrees there are in one complete revolution? 360°

54° is what fraction of that?

Find the circumference of the ball, which would be the distance rolled in one revolution, then multiply by that fraction.

If you can't answer yes or no to #1, I suggest you select a value for x, say 20°. Then find the sin of 20°. Then find the sin of 40° and take half of it. Then compare results. At least you will be able to say yes or no.

WEEGEE SEE ALL said:
im not expecting an answer from anyone just an explanation of what i have to do. in the end i need to explain how i solved this so the explanation is somewhat more important than the answer. im in a catch the fish or teach the man to fish situation

The best way to learn to catch "mathematical" fish - is to open the book and do the example problems of the chapter. Then come to us with work and indicating exactly where you are stuck. If you don't tell us that - we may have to assume you don't know where the river bank is - and your catching fish will be delayed.

In other words - if you really want to learn - show us some work.

fasteddie65 said:
2. a ball is rolling in a circular path that has a radius of 10 inches. what distance has the ball rolled when the subtended arc is 54 degrees.

Find the circumference of the ball, which would be the distance rolled in one revolution, then multiply by that fraction.

so what i think what your saying is find out what percent 54 is of 360 right?
i dont think i know how to solve the circumference.would getting the diameter calling that 100% and then converting what the 54 degrees was into the equal percent?
lik lets say 54 was 10% of 360. then the distance traveled owuld be 1 inch(im not saying thats the answer im just trying to explain what i said

fasteddie65 said:

Do you remember the identity for sin 2x? sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x.

So is (1/2) sin 2x the same as sin x?

BTW, use parentheses around fractions.
remember? i was dead serious when i said i was never taught. he threw the regents test at me and gave me 3 problems from it.
so out of what i understand sin x would be equal to sin x cos x right? i understand that there not equal but not really how you got it

Loren said:
If you can't answer yes or no to #1, I suggest you select a value for x, say 20°. Then find the sin of 20°. Then find the sin of 40° and take half of it. Then compare results. At least you will be able to say yes or no.
how do you find the sin of....ANYTHING. i understand what you mean to do just give x a representation, but i have no knowledge of any of this. everything i wrote was all i was given. the only difference is number 2 had a diagram

Subhotosh Khan said:
[quote="WEEGEE SEE ALL":n1w7gm7c]

The best way to learn to catch "mathematical" fish - is to open the book and do the example problems of the chapter. Then come to us with work and indicating exactly where you are stuck. If you don't tell us that - we may have to assume you don't know where the river bank is - and your catching fish will be delayed.

In other words - if you really want to learn - show us some work.[/quote:n1w7gm7c]
your not understanding i was left to the dogs basically. no book just 3 problems off a test.tellin me to show you work is like telling me to catch fish in the middle of the desert. i have nothing.i just did "too good" apparently and this was what i got. if you know a place online that can show me closely related examples then i'll take thjat

If you were not taught anything, you need to find a way to teach yourself. You'll need some reference material - something containing an explanation of the stuff you need to teach yourself. As a possibility, you might start here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions - I'm not saying that this is the best or even a good place to start. But it is a possible place to start.

DrMike said:
If you were not taught anything, you need to find a way to teach yourself. You'll need some reference material - something containing an explanation of the stuff you need to teach yourself. As a possibility, you might start here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions - I'm not saying that this is the best or even a good place to start. But it is a possible place to start.
thanks ill try it

WEEGEE SEE ALL said:
fasteddie65 said:

so what i think what your saying is find out what percent 54 is of 360 right?
i dont think i know how to solve the circumference. C(ircumference) = ? * D(iameter)

If this teacher is trying to give encouragement for your doing well in "math a" - by giving these problems (without any guidance or books) - then don't just walk away - run away from this teacher.

would getting the diameter calling that 100% and then converting what the 54 degrees was into the equal percent?
lik lets say 54 was 10% of 360. egad = no - let's not say that - let's calculate

\(\displaystyle \frac{54}{360} \, = \, 0.15 \, = \, 15 \, percent\)

then the distance traveled owuld be 1 inch(im not saying thats the answer im just trying to explain what i said

Incorrect

Circumference travels 360° - here you are travelling 15% of that

circumference travels (? * d = 22/7 * 20 = 440/7 = ~) 63 inch - you'll travel 15% of that = 63 * 0.15 = 9.45 inch