Complex conjugate

Mondo

Hello,

I have a problem understanding an example of an integral of complex conjugate from the book Visual Complex analysis. Here is the fragment that confuses me:
complex_conjugate.png
I understand the equation marked by me by red 1. However I don't get how they transformed the Im on left hand side to i on THS in (8)? Also I have stressed by a red line the fragment that says "we would multiply by r" where is it in 8? Looks like no multiplication has happened. Finally I don't see how they prove the above integral is purely imaginary - what happened to the real part?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a problem understanding an example of an integral of complex conjugate from the book Visual Complex analysis. Here is the fragment that confuses me:
View attachment 30959
I understand the equation marked by me by red 1. However I don't get how they transformed the Im on left hand side to i on THS in (8)? Also I have stressed by a red line the fragment that says "we would multiply by r" where is it in 8? Looks like no multiplication has happened. Finally I don't see how they prove the above integral is purely imaginary - what happened to the real part?

Thanks.
It appears that what is said about multiplying by r is about comparing this problem to [12], which you haven't shown us, so it's hard to comment:

1643763380785.png

Some reasoning there appears to be the basis for the conclusion that the integral is purely imaginary. Can you show it to us (both the picture and the explanation)?

It appears that what is said about multiplying by r is about comparing this problem to [12], which you haven't shown us, so it's hard to comment:

Some reasoning there appears to be the basis for the conclusion that the integral is purely imaginary. Can you show it to us (both the picture and the explanation)?
Just a guess: if [12] showed that [imath]\oint \frac{dz}{z}[/imath] is purely imaginary, then the same is true of [imath]\oint \bar z dz[/imath] because the ratio of [imath]\bar z[/imath] and [imath]\frac{1}{z}[/imath] is purely real, i.e. [imath]|z|^2[/imath]. I am also guessing that the integration is over a circle where [imath]|z|[/imath] is constant.

Below are two pages describing the problem [12]
general_loops_1.png
general_loops_2.png

Do they claim that the result is purely imaginary because the horizontal component vanished? This can be read from the description below figure [13].
Just a guess: if [12] showed that [imath]\oint \frac{dz}{z}[/imath] is purely imaginary, then the same is true of [imath]\oint \bar z dz[/imath] because the ratio of [imath]\bar z[/imath] and [imath]\frac{1}{z}[/imath] is purely real, i.e. [imath]|z|^2[/imath]. I am also guessing that the integration is over a circle where [imath]|z|[/imath] is constant.

Can you elaborate why do you think the ratio between [imath]\bar z[/imath] and [imath]\frac{1}{z}[/imath] is purely real?

Thanks