Complex Equations: A = {z complex, bar{z}^5 - |z|^5 = 0}, B = {z complex, (z-2)/(bar{z}+4) - (z+4)/(bar{z}-2) = 4}, C =...

EmanDroid

Hi, good morning to all. I would have some help about these three exercises.

[math]A\, =\, \{z\, \in\, \mathbb{C}\, :\, \bar{z}^5\, -\, |z|^5\, =\, 0\}[/math]
[math]B\, =\, \left\{z\, \in\, \mathbb{C}\, :\, \dfrac{z\, -\, 2}{\bar{z}\, +\, 4}\, -\, \dfrac{z\, +\, 4}{\bar{z}\, -\, 2}\, =\, 4\right\}[/math]
[math]C\, =\, \{z\, \in\, \mathbb{C}\, :\, z^3\, +\, 9iz^2\, -\, 27z\, -\, 30i\, =\, 0\}[/math]

I don't know how to solve them. Thank you for your support and help :)

Attachments

• Complex.png
    Complex.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
These aren't exercises; they are definitions of sets. What is it that you want to do with them?

Please read our submission guidelines and follow them: state the entire problem, tell us the context, and show what you DO know about the problem.

These aren't exercises; they are definitions of sets. What is it that you want to do with them?

Please read our submission guidelines and follow them: state the entire problem, tell us the context, and show what you DO know about the problem.

Sorry, I didn't express well my problem. These are sets, and the problem is to find elements of these sets by solving these equations. Thank you.

So, what methods do you know? What have you tried? Where did you get stuck?

I can see the answer to the first just by thinking about which terms are real, or by replacing z with x+iy.

1) \(\displaystyle \overline{z}^5-|z|^5=0\)
You should know that \(\displaystyle |z|\) is a real number so what about \(\displaystyle \overline{z}^5-|z|^5~?\).

2) use the well known fact that \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}=\frac{\overline{z}}{|z|^2}\) so that \(\displaystyle \frac{z-2}{\overline{z}+4}=\frac{(z-2)(z+4)}{|z+4|^2}\)

3) Note that \(\displaystyle z^3+9iz^2-27z-30i=(z+3i)^3-3i=0\)

For the first one if we write \(\displaystyle z= re^{i\theta}\) then \(\displaystyle |z|^5= r^5\) and \(\displaystyle \overline{z}^5= r^5e^{-5i\theta}\). So \(\displaystyle \overline{z}^5- |z|^5= r^5(e^{-5i\theta}- 1)= 0\). So either r= 0 so z= 0 or \(\displaystyle e^{-5i\theta}= 1\) so \(\displaystyle -5\theta= 2n\pi\) for some integer n. In that case, \(\displaystyle \theta= -n\frac{2\pi}{5}\).