Complex numbers: sketching {z in C | |3x - 1 + i| <= 2}, {z in C | I((1 - i)z) = 0}

eminemsdictionary

a) [imath]\{z \in \Complex\; \large{\vert}\normalsize{ \; |\,3z - 1 + i\,| \leq 2\}}[/imath]

b) [imath]\{z \in \Complex\; \large{\vert}\normalsize{\; \image\left((1 - i)z\right) = 0\}}[/imath]

How do you sketch something like that?

Attachments

• CF0BF31E-DF4E-46F6-893E-1A27E001B9E6.jpeg
    CF0BF31E-DF4E-46F6-893E-1A27E001B9E6.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
a) [imath]\{z \in \Complex\; \large{\vert}\normalsize{ \; |\,3z - 1 + i\,| \leq 2\}}[/imath]

b) [imath]\{z \in \Complex\; \large{\vert}\normalsize{\; \image\left((1 - i)z\right) = 0\}}[/imath]

How do you sketch something like that?
I have typed out the text in the attached image. Kindly please reply with the rest of the information noted in the "Read Before Posting" message at the top of this category; in particular, please provide a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. (Or, if you are not sufficiently familiar with this topic to even get started, please so state, so helpers can try to find online lessons for you to study first.)

Thank you!

Eliz.

Lets begin with some rather standard notation. If each of [imath]x~\&~y[/imath] is a real number
then [imath]z= x+yi[/imath] is a complex number and real part of [imath]z,~\Re(z)=x\text{ and the imagery part }\Im(z)=y[/imath].
The modulus or absolute value is [imath]|z|=\sqrt{\Re^2(z)+\Im^2(z})[/imath]. Because [imath]3z-1+i=(3x-1)+(3y+1)i[/imath]
we have [imath]|3z-1+i|=\sqrt{(3x-1)^2+(3y+1)^2}[/imath] That the necessary part for a).
For part b): [imath](1-i)(x+yi)=(x+y)+(y-x)i[/imath] thus [imath]\Im((1-i)z)=y-x[/imath]

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]