Complex Quadrilateral Problem

HenryS

Consider a convex quadrilateral with vertices at ?,?,? and ? and on each side draw a square lying outside the given quadrilateral, as in the picture below. Let ?,?,? and ? be the centers of those squares:
1601169839996.png
a) Find expressions for ?,?,? and ? in terms of ?,?,? and ?.

b) Prove that the line segment between ? and ? is perpendicular and equal in length to the line segment between ? and ?.

I don't really know where to start. I think I have part B solved using similar triangles and things, but part a is really confusing. Thank you!

Consider a convex quadrilateral with vertices at ?,?,? and ? and on each side draw a square lying outside the given quadrilateral, as in the picture below. Let ?,?,? and ? be the centers of those squares:
View attachment 21892

b) Prove that the line segment between ? and ? is perpendicular and equal in length to the line segment between ? and ?.

I don't really know where to start. I think I have part B solved using similar triangles and things, but part a is really confusing. Thank you!
You say:

Do you mean:

Find expressions for coordinates of ?,?,? and ? in terms of coordinates of ?,?,? and ?.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.​
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:​
Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.​

View attachment 21892

The picture suggests that everything is to be done in terms of complex numbers. Is that true? It should have been stated.

My first thought, until I noticed that, was to use vectors; and that may still be a good starting point. For instance, you can find p by adding half of vector ab to a, and then adding a vector perpendicular to it.

The picture suggests that everything is to be done in terms of complex numbers. Is that true? It should have been stated.

My first thought, until I noticed that, was to use vectors; and that may still be a good starting point. For instance, you can find p by adding half of vector ab to a, and then adding a vector perpendicular to it.

Yes, it is in terms of complex numbers. Sorry!

You say:

Do you mean:

Find expressions for coordinates of ?,?,? and ? in terms of coordinates of ?,?,? and ?.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.​
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:​
Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.​

I tried finding p first by finding (p-a) and (p-b). I tried another way by translating a to the origin. I haven't been able to go farther than this.
Although the problem is in complex numbers, can I still use vectors? Would I be able to multiply by e^(i theta) to rotate it?

Last edited:
I tried finding p first by finding (p-a) and (p-b). I tried another way by translating a to the origin. I haven't been able to go farther than this.
Although the problem is in complex numbers, can I still use vectors? Would I be able to multiply by e^(i theta) to rotate it?
If you don't see an answer directly in terms of complex numbers, I would definitely try thinking in terms of vectors. And yes, one way to rotate a vector by 90 degrees is to multiply by the appropriate complex number (which is a very simple one!).

Give it a try, and show us your work.

Ok, so I translated the square with [MATH]p[/MATH] as its center so that [MATH]a[/MATH] would be at the origin. So [Math]b[/Math] would then be [Math]b-a[/Math] and [Math]p[/Math] would be [Math]p-a[/Math], right? [Math]p-a[/Math] is half of the diagonal. So then [Math](p-a) = (b-a) \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/Math]. Rotating by [Math]-\frac{\pi}{4}[/Math] would give us [Math]\frac{(b-a)\sqrt{2}}{2} \cdot e^{-i\frac{\pi}{4}} = \frac{(b-a)\sqrt{2}}{2} \cdot (\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} -i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}) = (\frac{(b-a)}{2} - i\frac{(b-a)}{2}) = \frac{b-a-bi+ai}{2}[/Math].

Therefore, [Math]p-a = \frac{b-a-bi+ai}{2}[/Math] and when we translate everything back we get [Math]p = \frac{b-a-bi+ai}{2} + a \Longrightarrow p = \frac{b-a-bi+ai + (2a)}{2} \Longrightarrow p = \frac{b+a-bi+ai}{2}[/Math]. I can do a similar process for the rest of the points, right?

If so, does it matter which point I translate to the origin?

I think that looks about right.

Let's try what I have in mind (just a little different from my original suggestion), and see if I get the same result. If I call the point opposite a on its square a', then
(a' - a) = (b - a) + (a' - b) = (b - a) + (b - a)(-i) [rotating the latter 90 degrees clockwise]​
= b - a + (a - b)i;​
(p - a) = (a' - a)/2 = (b - a + (a - b)i)/2;​
so
p = a + (p - a) = a + (b - a + (a - b)i)/2 = ((a + b) + (a - b)i)/2​

And we agree.