Complicated Finance Question

cornears

Hi, I have some homework due tomorrow and I have no idea where to start with this question. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your firm is considering a fast‑food concession at the World's Fair in Fargo. The cash flow pattern is somewhat unusual because you must build the stands, operate them for 2 years, and then tear the stands down at the end of the third year to restore the sites to their original condition (the stand does not operate for first year). Your firm requires a 15% pre-tax return on capital. Your firm anticipates having a marginal tax rate of 20% for the next three years. The IRS will allow your firm to depreciate the initial cost of the investment over two years. The cost of tearing down the booth is considered a tax deductible expense. You estimate that it will cost $900,000 to build and $200,000 to tear down at the end of the third year (assume the terminal value of stands are zero and treat the tear-down cost as an expense at the end of the third year). Your revenues will be $850,000 and operating expenses will be $200,000 at the end of each of the first two years from operating the concession stand.

A. Lay out the cash flows for the investment.

B. Calculate the net present value.

C. Is this an acceptable investment?

I've made a little progress. The teacher said we could ignore the effects of depreciation. For net return after tax in year 2 i got 520,000, year 3 i got 360,000, and i put -720,000 for year 0. Those values are after taking into tax. I got an NPV of 4,385.63. I took the NPV of year 2 and 3 then subtracted 720,000. Can anyone confirm this answer?

I've worked the problem out another way. Year 0 will equal -900,000 (don't need to take into account tax). Year 1 will equal 0 due to there being no cash inflow and no cash outflow (from what you understand of the question does depreciation begin in year 1 or can it begin in year 2 and end in 3?). Year 2 will equal 610,000 as explained by previous post. Year 3 will equal either 450,000 (that's if depreciation can carry into year 3) or it will equal 360,000 (with 90,000 worth of tax).

Does this look right so far?