Conditional Probability and IAs: using the Bechdel Test

Amanda99

Hello! I'm an IB student working on a paper in need of some help with my IA. I'm working with conditional probability and the Bechdel Test (The Bechdel Test is a way to analyze gender equality in movies. There are 3 tests that it can pass - (1) the movie has at least 2 women in it, (2) those two women speak to each other, and (3) they speak to each other about something about a man. Passing all 3 tests is a pass, passing 0, 1, or 2 tests is a fail.). What I originally did was pick a pool of about 500 movies, split them up by genre, and calculate the probability of them either passing or failing by genre. Then, for each genre, I calculated the probability of the movies that failed passing 0, 1, or 2 tests. I believed I had done conditional probability, but my teacher said I didn't and then said I "may or may not have" when I went back to ask. Needless to say, I am quite confused.

Can anyone tell me what I didn't do correctly based off that information? If that wasn't conditional probability, can anyone pick out a conditional probability problem from this information? I would be very grateful. Thank you

UPDATE: Would this example set-up be conditional probability?
Given that the probability of the movie being an action movie is 0.5, and the probability of any movie passing the Bechdel Test is 0.6, what's the probability that's it's an action movie AND passes the Bechdel Test?

Last edited:
Would this example set-up be conditional probability?

Given that the probability of the movie being an action movie is 0.5, and the probability of any movie passing the Bechdel Test is 0.6, what's the probability that's it's an action movie AND passes the Bechdel Test?

I think so, but there's a simpler example.

Conditional probability means the probability that an event is true, given that another event has already happened.

For example, pick a random movie from the set of 500.

Given that this movie's genre is action, what is the probability that it fails the Bechdel Test?