Confusing question

‘Find the constants a and b such that, for all values of x, x² + 6x + 20 = (x + a)² + b. Hence state the least values of x² + 6x + 20, and state also the value of x for which this least value occurs’.
I understand the start of the question: it is just completing the square.
X² + 6X +20 = (X + 3)² - 9 + 20 = (X + 3)² +11.
Therefore, a=3 and b=11.
However, I am unsure as to what the second part of the question (Hence state…) is actually asking me to do. If anybody could explain what it is asking, it would be appreciated.

"x^2+ 6x+ 9" doesn't look like anything! "y= x^2+ 6x+ 9" and "y= (x+ 3)^2" have graphs. If you let u= x+ 3, (so u= 0 when x= -3) that becomes "y= u^2". Do you know what the graph of "y= x^2" looks like?

"x^2+ 6x+ 9" doesn't look like anything! "y= x^2+ 6x+ 9" and "y= (x+ 3)^2" have graphs. If you let u= x+ 3, (so u= 0 when x= -3) that becomes "y= u^2". Do you know what the graph of "y= x^2" looks like?
Its a U shaped curve that has symmetry about the y axis

Punch-Line

For y(x) = (x + a)² + b
The minimum of y(x) is at (x,y) = (-a, b)

That is why your problem suggests that you write y(x) in that form.

You are going out of your way to make this problem as hard as possible! Finding a minimum value for \(\displaystyle x^2+ 6x+ 20= x^2+ 6x+ 9+ 11= (x+ 3)^2+ 11\) does NOT require any calculus at all. This is purely an algebra problem. You have been asked repeatedly if you know what the graph of "\(\displaystyle y= x^2\)" looks like. Do you? What is the minimum value of \(\displaystyle y= x^2\)? If you can do that, what about \(\displaystyle y= x^2+ 11\)? And then \(\displaystyle y= (x+ 3)^2+ 11\)?

Last edited:
You are going out of your way to make this problem as hard as possible! Finding a minimum value for \(\displaystyle x^2+ 6x+ 20= x^2+ 6x+ 9+ 11= (x+ 3)^2+ 11\) does NOT require any calculus at all. This is purely an algebra problem. You have been asked repeatedly if you know what the graph of "\(\displaystyle y= x^2\)" looks like. Do you? What is the minimum value of \(\displaystyle y= x^2\)? If you can do that, what about \(\displaystyle y= x^2+ 11\)? And then \(\displaystyle y= (x+ 3)^2+ 11\)?
The minimum value of X^2 is (0,0), y = x^2 + 11, the min value is (0,11) and (X+3)^2 + 11, the min value is (-3,11). Note: Why does the answer book give the minimum value as (11,-3)?

Last edited:
The minimum value of X^2 is (0,0), y = x^2 + 11, the min value is (0,11) and (X+3)^2 + 11, the min value is (-3,11). Note: Why does the answer book give the minimum value as (11,-3)?

Excellent! I would say the minimum value of \(\displaystyle x^2\) is 0 which occurs at x= 0. Similarly the minimum value of \(\displaystyle x^2+ 11\) is 11 which occurs at x= 0 and the minimum value of \(\displaystyle (x+ 3)^2+ 11\) is 11 which occurs at x= -3. I have no idea why an answer book would give (11, -3), in particular because that is a point, not a value.

Why does the answer book give the minimum value as (11,-3)?
Perhaps because the problem first asked for minimum (which is 11) and secondly asked at what x value (which is -3).
But it is unfortunate that the ordered answer set isn't written as {11, -3}