converting volume to gallons

camp

I have an old fish tank that I'm repuposing as a fish tank. I have to use tap water that is quite chlorinated. I have no idea how many gallons came through the hose and I must use a de-chlorinating solution that says use a teaspoon for every 10 gallons. The tank is: 16"h x 24"l x 12"w. Can any one give me the formula for converting cubic inches to gallons of water? Thank you and the fish thank you.

camp said:
I have an old fish tank that I'm repuposing as a fish tank. I have to use tap water that is quite chlorinated. I have no idea how many gallons came through the hose and I must use a de-chlorinating solution that says use a teaspoon for every 10 gallons. The tank is: 16"h x 24"l x 12"w. Can any one give me the formula for converting cubic inches to gallons of water? Thank you and the fish thank you.

You can find this on the Internet easily, but to save you the trouble, 1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons

I suggest that you convert the dimensions of the tank to feet (for example, 24" = 2 feet) and find the volume of your tank in cubic feet. Multiply the volume in cubic feet by 7.48 gal to find the number of gallons in your tank.

The tank is 4608 cubic inches. That converts to 19.95 gallons. Just say 20 gallons. Since you need 1 tsp per 10 gallon, put 2 tsp in the whole tank

By the way, there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon.

Thank you for your help. As for 'finding this on the internet easily', not so much. If the fish tank was a cone, trapazoid, or shaped like a swimming pool, then it was easily found. Thanks to all, again.

camp said:
Thank you for your help. As for 'finding this on the internet easily', not so much. If the fish tank was a cone, trapazoid, or shaped like a swimming pool, then it was easily found. Thanks to all, again.

You asked how to convert cubic inches to gallons.....a Google search for "cubic inches to gallons" yielded more than 300,000 "hits."

Mrspi said:
camp said:

You asked how to convert cubic inches to gallons.....a Google search for "cubic inches to gallons" yielded more than 300,000 "hits."

My favourite such 'hit' is this one : http://www.google.com.au/search?q=4608+ ... =firefox-a