Critical points

canji

I am having trouble understanding critical numbers and finding maximums and minimums, can you help me get a better understanding?

Calculus involves finding the gradient (or the "slope") at any point on a graph. When we study some polynomial graphs, we notice that at some points they have a positive gradient (an upwards slope) and at other points they have a downwards slope. But on some graphs like x = D, a simple vertical line through the point (D, 0), the gradient is neither positive, nor negative. It is undefined. Afterall, how could we describe or quantify the "steepness" of a vertical line?

If you look at other graphs, you notice that they rise and fall at certain points. Some parabolas look like archways because they have what's called a "turning point." Some cubics have turning points too. These points are where the graph rises and drops. If you zoomed in on a turning point enough, you would notice that it straightens out into a small space of horizontol line. And a horizontol line has zero gradient.

So some of the interesting features of a graph (the turning points, the points of inflection) all have ZERO gradient. The point on the graph where the curve "straightens out" temporarily is called a stationary point (called stationary because the graph is not increasing or decreasing at this point). If you throw a ball into the air, and it makes an arc and begins to descend, the point at which it is "stationary" in the air is the stationary point on its displacement-time graph.

Stationary points come in a few types:

Turning points - The point where the curve "dips;" ie: a curve has a certain gradient on one side of a point, and when it "bounces" or "turns" from a particular point it achieves a negated gradient. So, if it's positive on one side of a turning point, it will bounce off into a negative gradient.

Turning points: Local maximum - A local maximum point is where a curve approaches a stationary point with a positive slope and turns off that point into a negative slope, illustrated sloppily below:

Code:
      .     .
    .          .
  .               .

You should look up the other types of stationary points. Remember, that the gradient function of y, dy/dx, or the 'derivative of y with respect to x at any point (x,y)', must be set to '0' if you want to find stationary/critical points. If you don't know how to calculate the derivative, you shouldn't be bothering about stationary points yet.

Once you find a bunch of stationary points by solving dy/dx = 0, you must "classify" them as a local maximum, local minimum, or stationary point, for example. Means of classifying stationary points involve the "second derivative test," ie, if x = D is a stationary point and y"(D) > 0, then a local minimum point lies on the line X = D. There are other tests, too.

Critical points examples

Thank you. Can you post a step by step example of a problem finding the critical points, minimum and maximums?

Re: Critical points examples

After a tutor posted a mini-review said:
Can you post a step by step example of a problem finding the critical points, minimum and maximums?
The previous poster went "above and beyond" by providing you with a mini-review. (Thank you, morson!) But I'm afraid we simply cannot reasonably provide the requested classroom instruction within this environment.

For step-by-step worked examples and explanations, please review a textbook or an on-topic web site, or else please consider enrolling in a calculus course.

My best wishes to you in your studies.

Eliz.

. . . . .Visual Calculus: Maxima and Minima
. . . . .Paul's Math Notes: Applications of Derivatives
. . . . .Derivatives in Curve Sketching
. . . . .Finding Extreme Values (PDF)

Critical points examples

Thank you, these sites will be helpful.

I also appreciate your time in going "above and beyond" with the mini review.

canji