Cubing a Negative Fraction

Jason76

\(\displaystyle - \dfrac{3}{2} * - \dfrac{3}{2} * - \dfrac{3}{2}\)

It should come out to:

\(\displaystyle - \dfrac{27}{8} \)

However, a video said the answer was the same as \(\displaystyle \dfrac{8}{27}\)

Is there some rule at play here?

You are right and the video is wrong. The cube of a negative is negative. Think of the graph of:

\(\displaystyle y=x^3\)

\(\displaystyle - \dfrac{3}{2} * - \dfrac{3}{2} * - \dfrac{3}{2}\)

It should come out to:

\(\displaystyle - \dfrac{27}{8} \)

However, a video said the answer was the same as \(\displaystyle \dfrac{8}{27}\)

Is there some rule at play here?

Jason76,

would you check the problem on the video to see if it is actually

\(\displaystyle \bigg(\dfrac{3}{2}\bigg)^{-3} \ ?\)

Jason76,

would you check the problem on the video to see if it is actually

\(\displaystyle \bigg(\dfrac{3}{2}\bigg)^{-3} \ ?\)

That's what it is. So, therefore the answer would be different than if it was only \(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}^{-3}\). Right?

Last edited:
That's what it is. So, therefore the answer would be different than if it was only \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3}^{-3}\). Right?
I doubt you asked the question that you actually wanted to ask.

Obviously \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3}^{-3} \ne \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-3}.\)

Some laws of exponents

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{a}{b}\right)^c = \dfrac{a^c}{b^c}.\)

\(\displaystyle d \ne 0 \implies d^{-c} = \dfrac{1}{d^c}.\)

From the two laws above we can deduce:

\(\displaystyle e\ne 0 \implies \left(\dfrac{e}{f}\right)^{-c} = \dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{e}{f}\right)^c} = \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{e^c}{f^c}} = \dfrac{1}{1} * \dfrac{f^c}{e^c} = \dfrac{f^c}{e^c} = \left(\dfrac{f}{e}\right)^c.\)

I doubt you asked the question that you actually wanted to ask.

Obviously \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3}^{-3} \ne \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-3}.\)

Some laws of exponents

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{a}{b}\right)^c = \dfrac{a^c}{b^c}.\)

\(\displaystyle d \ne 0 \implies d^{-c} = \dfrac{1}{d^c}.\)

From the two laws above we can deduce:

\(\displaystyle e\ne 0 \implies \left(\dfrac{e}{f}\right)^{-c} = \dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{e}{f}\right)^c} = \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{e^c}{f^c}} = \dfrac{1}{1} * \dfrac{f^c}{e^c} = \dfrac{f^c}{e^c} = \left(\dfrac{f}{e}\right)^c.\)

Sorry I meant 3 over 2 to the negative 1/3 power.

Right. Here is an analogy:

Pretend c is -1.

\(\displaystyle (\dfrac{a}{b})^{-1} = \cfrac{1}{\cfrac{a}{b}} = \cfrac{\cfrac{b}{a}}{1} = \dfrac{b}{a}\)

Last edited:
That's what it is. So, therefore the answer would be different than if it was only \(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}^{-3}\). Right?

That is again a totally different problem.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}^{-3} \ = \ \dfrac{1}{27} * \dfrac{1}{2} \ = \ \dfrac{1}{54}\)

Sorry I meant 3 over 2 to the negative 1/3 power.

Do I understand that correctly that you want to evaluate

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\left( \frac32 \right)^{-\frac13} = \left( \frac23 \right)^{\frac13} = \frac13 \cdot \sqrt[3]{18}}\)

Jason

Let's start with another law of exponents.

\(\displaystyle integer\ q > 0 \implies p^{1/q} = \sqrt[q]{p}\ BY\ DEFINITION.\)

So \(\displaystyle integer\ q >0 \implies p^{r/q} = \left(p^r\right)^{1/q} = \sqrt[q]{p^r}.\)

Therefore

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{(1/3)}}.\) Negative exponent law. OK so far?

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{\dfrac{3}{2}}}.\) Fractional exponent law. Still with me?

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1.5}}.\) Simplification.

Actually it is easier to simplify as the first step but I wanted to concentrate on the laws of exponents.

EDIT: Pappua and I arrive at the same answer, just expressed differently

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{1}{2} * \sqrt[3]{18}\right)^3 = \dfrac{1}{27} * 18 = \dfrac{2}{3}.\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1.5}}\right)^3 = \dfrac{1}{1.5} = \dfrac{1}{1.5} * \dfrac{2}{2} = \dfrac{2}{3}.\)

He used a different law of exponents.

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{3^{-(1/3)}}{2^{-(1/3)}}.\) He started here.

So \(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{3^{(1/3)}}}{\dfrac{1}{2^{(1/3)}}} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}} * \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{2}}{1} = \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{2}}{\sqrt[3]{3}} =\dfrac{2^{(1/3)}}{3^{(1/3)}} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{(1/3)}.\) Now he rationalized.

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{2 * 9}{3 * 9}\right)^{(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{18}{27}\right)^{(1/3)} = \dfrac{18^{(1/3)}}{27^{(1/3)}} = \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{18}}{3}.\)

Last edited:
Jason

Let's start with another law of exponents.

\(\displaystyle integer\ q > 0 \implies p^{1/q} = \sqrt[q]{p}\ BY\ DEFINITION.\)

So \(\displaystyle integer\ q >0 \implies p^{r/q} = \left(p^r\right)^{1/q} = \sqrt[q]{p^r}.\)

Therefore

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{(1/3)}}.\) Negative exponent law. OK so far?

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{\dfrac{3}{2}}}.\) Fractional exponent law. Still with me?

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1.5}}.\) Simplification.

Actually it is easier to simplify as the first step but I wanted to concentrate on the laws of exponents.

EDIT: Pappua and I arrive at the same answer, just expressed differently

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{1}{2} * \sqrt[3]{18}\right)^3 = \dfrac{1}{27} * 18 = \dfrac{2}{3}.\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{1.5}}\right)^3 = \dfrac{1}{1.5} = \dfrac{1}{1.5} * \dfrac{2}{2} = \dfrac{2}{3}.\)

He used a different law of exponents.

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{3^{-(1/3)}}{2^{-(1/3)}}.\) He started here.

So \(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{3^{(1/3)}}}{\dfrac{1}{2^{(1/3)}}} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}} * \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{2}}{1} = \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{2}}{\sqrt[3]{3}} =\dfrac{2^{(1/3)}}{3^{(1/3)}} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{(1/3)}.\) Now he rationalized.

\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{-(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{2 * 9}{3 * 9}\right)^{(1/3)} = \left(\dfrac{18}{27}\right)^{(1/3)} = \dfrac{18^{(1/3)}}{27^{(1/3)}} = \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{18}}{3}.\)

Evaluate the power:

Note: I tried to put the parenthesis, but I don't know the La Tex. So just assume there is parenthesis between exponent and fraction.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}^{-3}\)

Rewrite the fraction as 1 over a positive exponent (negative exponent law).

\(\displaystyle \cfrac{1}{\cfrac{3}{2}^{3}}\)

Evalutate the exponent

\(\displaystyle \cfrac{1}{\cfrac{27}{8}}\)

1 over a fraction = the reciprocal of a fraction over 1.

\(\displaystyle \cfrac{\cfrac{8}{27}}{1} = \dfrac{8}{27}\)
Answer

T
his makes it more simple.

Last edited:
Evaluate the power:
Note: I tried to put the parenthesis, but I don't know the La Tex. So just assume there is parenthesis between exponent and fraction.
This makes the job much simpler.

Evaluate the power:
\(\displaystyle \cfrac{\cfrac{2}{3}^{3/1}}{1} = \dfrac{2}{3}^{3/1} = \dfrac{8}{27}\) Answer
This makes the job much simpler.

Note the use of \left( \right)
\left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-3}[/tex] gives \(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-3}\)

To make is simpler \(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{3}{2}\right)^{-3}= \left(\dfrac{2}{3}\right)^{3}\).

That is, do the inversion first of all.

Do I understand that correctly that you want to evaluate

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\left( \frac32 \right)^{-\frac13} = \left( \frac23 \right)^{\frac13} = \frac13 \cdot \sqrt[3]{18}}\)

Example

Note: Assume parenthesis are between the exponent and fraction. Problem with understanding La tex.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{2}^{-1/3} = \cfrac{1}{\cfrac{3}{2}^{1/3}}\)

Next we would have 1 over the cubed root of 3 over 2 (because it can be re-written in cubed form). I don't know how to go further than that, cause there doesn't seem to be any exact cubes.

1 over cubed root of 3 over 2 - Answer

Last edited: