Data collection from gaming - I need help to find out some approximations

Rodrigo Nick

Hello, I'm Rodrigo from Brazil. I'm 35 years old and I play Tibia since 2003. In those 20 years I've developed a passion for data collection, usually creating my own excel spreadsheets with my gaming informations, such as equipments, list of creatures, and other stuff.

Recently I started to track some stats from my hunting sessions, where I kill different creatures and they give me a bunch of different items which I can sell for money. I got curious about what monster gave me the most profit, doing a sum of all the items I've got and attributing the total value to each monster.

The first data I needed to sort was the drop rate of every item, which the community had already sorted out by killing massive amounts of monsters and tracking how many items were dropped, finding the drop rate. Having the drop rate for every item, I started my thinking: let's say "Monster 1" drops "Boots 1" every 10 kills, while "Monster 2" drops the same "Boots 1" but every 20 kills. I've figured out if I had 10 of those boots, I could attribute 66,6% of the total value collected from selling all boots to "Monster 1" and 33,3% for "Monster 2". I was happy with that distribution until I've faced my first lack of statistical knowledge which was: items dropped from more than 2 monsters, which became a little bit harder. But I did the following.

Monster 1 drops Helmet 1 every 10 kills - 10% drop rate
Monster 2 drops Helmet 1 every 20 kills - 5% drop rate
Monster 3 drops Helmet 1 every 30 kills - 3,33% drop rate
Monster 4 drops Helmet 1 every 40 kills - 2,5% drop rate

Then I summed those numbers (10+5+3,33+2,5 = 20,83) and divided again like this:

Monster 1 - 10/20,83 = 48%
Monster 2 - 5/20,83 = 24%
Monster 3 - 3,33/20,83 = 16%
Monster 4 - 2,5/20,83 = 12%

I was all happy with those numbers, it made sense to me, at least. But then I realized I was ignoring the fact that in a given hunt, let's say I hunt for one hour, the amount of monsters I kill is not equal. I kill 100 "Monster 1", 200 "Monster 2", 300 "Monster 3", and 400 "Monster 4". So, even if drop rate for Helmet 1 for "Monster 4" is the lowest, I cannot assume only 12% of the helmets I have came from "Monster 4" since I'm killing a lot more of them. I have then:

Monster 1 - 100 killed in one hour - 10% of total monsters
Monster 2 - 200 killed in one hour - 20% of total monsters
Monster 3 - 300 killed in one hour - 30% of total monsters
Monster 4 - 400 killed in one hour - 40% of total monsters

My problem is that I don't know how to work with those 2 informations: drop rate for given item for different monsters and different amount of monsters killed. What I need is to look at my storage, see 250 "Helmet 1" and be able to approximate how many came from each monster. My plan is to hunt for 10 or more hours in the hunt I'm collecting data and check how many monsters I've killed, finding out the percentages of those. Then I'll have drop rates for all items and the distribution of monsters for the given hunt.

I'll be forever grateful for anyone helping me understand the math for my humble problem. Thank you!

(P.S.: This game is the same one [here], that asks about the Bonelords' math language. As a Tibia player myself, I would like to add that people are starting to figure out that language using AI, chatgpt. There are great videos on the internet.)

Last edited by a moderator: