Definite Integral with Absolute Value

Nate River

Hi there!

I am just struggling with how this author goes from the yellow question mark to the yellow comment box in this proof. I feel like it has something to do with the absolute values that lead to a piecewise function but I am not sure. theta is uniformly distributed.

1581962119749.png

Have you tried carrying out the work for each case? We need to see what you've done and where you are stuck.

Take the first case, with [MATH]r_2\le a[/MATH]. Then throughout the interval [a,b], [MATH]r_2 - \theta \le 0[/MATH], so [MATH]|r_2 - \theta| = \theta - r_2[/MATH]. Put that into the integral and see what you get.

The second case will be a little more complicated (you'll need that piecewise function you expected).

Have you tried carrying out the work for each case? We need to see what you've done and where you are stuck.

Take the first case, with [MATH]r_2\le a[/MATH]. Then throughout the interval [a,b], [MATH]r_2 - \theta \le 0[/MATH], so [MATH]|r_2 - \theta| = \theta - r_2[/MATH]. Put that into the integral and see what you get.

The second case will be a little more complicated (you'll need that piecewise function you expected).
I managed to figure it out, thank you for taking the time to respond!