Derivation

derek784

Hello, I've got a question like this:

The atmospheric pressure at an altitude of x kilometers above sealevel is approximately e^(−x/8) millibars. A rocket is rising at a rate of 8 kilometers per second vertically. At what rate is the atmospheric pressure changing (in millibars per second) when the altitude of the rocket is 64 kilometers?

Don't you simply derive e^(-x/8) and then plug in x=64? I just want to make sure. But in that case, the "rate of 8 kilometers per second" part of the question is useless?

through chain rule, i got -1/8e^(-x/8). plugging in 64 gets me -1/8e^(-8).

The atmospheric pressure at an altitude of x kilometers above sealevel is approximately e^(−x/8) millibars. A rocket is rising at a rate of 8 kilometers per second vertically. At what rate is the atmospheric pressure changing (in millibars per second) when the altitude of the rocket is 64 kilometers?

Don't you simply derive e^(-x/8) and then plug in x=64? I just want to make sure. But in that case, the "rate of 8 kilometers per second" part of the question is useless?

The derivative of the pressure with respect to x is the rate of change, not in millibars per second, but in millibars per kilometer.

This is a related rates problem! There are three quantities: pressure P, altitude x, and time t. You need to bring time into your work, and that is where the 8 km/s comes in.

You are given that P = e^(−x/8), and that dx/dt = 8. You want to find dP/dt when x = 64. What do you do?

Hello, I've got a question like this: [Moved from a different thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have you resubmitted, word for word, the following question, under a different name? [Moved from a different thread]

Look there for my answer. Also, please observe that the verb is not "derive" but "differentiate". The result is called the "derivative".

Last edited by a moderator: