derivative and gradient

What the differences between the two?
The gradient is a vector of partial derivatives. The derivative is a gradient vector with only one element. So in single-variable functions, you can use them interchangeably, but not the case for multi-variable functions.

What the differences between the two?
It depends on what YOU mean by gradient. This is why you've been asked for your definition.

In some places, "gradient" is used as a synonym for "slope" (and therefore the derivative tells you the slope (of the tangent line)):

But in other context, it is something different, as others have told you:

The gradient is a vector of partial derivatives. The derivative is a gradient vector with only one element. So in single-variable functions, you can use them interchangeably, but not the case for multi-variable functions.
I disagree that you can still use them interchangeably. The gradient will point in a given direction, say either [imath]\hat{i}[/imath] or [imath]-\hat{i}[/imath]. The derivative may be positive or negative but it is just a number. It is a common assumption that a positive or negative number "points" in a positive or negative direction (this is done in Introductory Physics all the time) but this is not quite the same thing. The gradient is a vector whereas the derivative is a scalar.

-Dan