Derivative and tangent-line questions

jumpman21

1.) Let f'(x) = x/2x+3. Find f'(x) by taking the limit, as h goes to zero, of [ f(a+h) - f(a) ] / h

My steps are:

(a+h)/2(a+h) +3 - a/2a+3

(a+h)/2a +2h + 3 - a/2a+3

I need to find a common denominato. Should I multiply by 2h...? What steps follow?

2.) Algebraically find the equation of the tangent line to f(x) = x^(1/3) at (8, 2)

Completely stuck on this one. Point slope formula maybe? Thanks for help in advance.

Re: Derivitive and tangent line question.

jumpman21 said:
Two questions.

1.) let f'(x) = x/2x+3, find f'(x) by f(a+h) - f(a)
---------------
h

My steps are:
(a+h)/2(a+h) +3 - a/2a+3

(a+h)/2a +2h + 3 - a/2a+3

I need to find a common denominator, should i multiply by 2h or what? What steps follow?

Please use grouping symbols. I assume you mean \(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{x}{2x+3}\).

\(\displaystyle \L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{\frac{x+h}{2(x+h)+3}-\frac{x}{2x+3}}{h}\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\\lim_{h\to\0}\frac{3}{(2x+3)(2x+2h+3)}\)

Now, finish?.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Algebraically find the equation of the tangent line to f(x)=x^(1/3) at (8,2)

Completely stuck on this one. Point slope formula maybe? Thanks for help in advance.

Find the derivative of f(x) and plug in x to find the slope at that point. Use y=mx+b. You have m, x, and y. Plug them in and solve for b. You're done.

How did you get from the first step to the second one? How did you just invert 3 and put it over (2x+3)(2x+2h+3)

jumpman21 said:
How did you get from the first step to the second one?
Try working it out yourself: What does "x + h - x" simplify to? How would [h/(stuff)]/h reduce? And so forth.

Eliz.