Derivative of infinite x^x

Thanks. I didn't see the adjustment [imath]y=(x^x)^y[/imath]. I need to have my vision checked.
To the corner with you, you scurvy swine! (I could use someone to play rock paper scissors with.)

-Dan

Here's the graph of [imath]y=(x^x)^y[/imath]

graph.png

The graph starts near, or on, (0, 1) depending on how you view 0^0. It goes through (1,1) and then appears to double back where y=e. Then there's a vertical asymptote at x=1.

And there should be a point at (-1, -1)

View attachment 32807

The graph starts near, or on, (0, 1) depending on how you view 0^0. It goes through (1,1) and then appears to double back where y=e. Then there's a vertical asymptote at x=1.

Thanks for this graph. Now this is initially surprising. Can you show a graph of the derivative?

View attachment 32807

I used Desmos and it gave me something different for [imath]y=(x^x)^y[/imath]
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.15.59 PM.png

This is what I got for the derivative.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 11.17.54 PM.png

Here's a graph of the gradient (red and green curves) with the original shown in blue. Note that the graph is cut at the thick black line. Beneath that line the y axis is on a different scale, since the gradient is very steep and negative. The x axis values are aligned in both sections of the graph.
g2.png
Note: The gradient is exactly 1 at (1, 1)

EDIT: This only shows the gradient at the (x,y) points where the equation [imath]y=(x^x)^y[/imath] is true, even though the expression I obtained for the gradient gives a field of values (and this is probably what is shown in post#15)

Last edited: