derivative

Please clarify: Is the second "w" in the denominator, so this is really "A = 250/pi", or is it in the numerator, so this is "A = (250/pi)w<sup>2</sup>"?

Are you working from the definition (using limits)? If not, then just apply the rules they've given you. (The rule you use, of course, will depend on which of the above is the intended function.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing what you have tried. Thank you.

Eliz.

i can't simply eliminate the w's because that would leave me with an unusable derivative, which would be zero. i would need to use the quotient rule and then the product rule.

The derivative is going to be the same, no matter which way you approach it. Using the Product and Quotient Rules (assuming now that A equals "w[250/(pi w)]") will give you a lot more work to do, but, upon simplification, the result will be the same:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \Large{A\mbox{ }=\mbox{ }...\mbox{ }=\mbox{ }\frac{250}{\pi w}\mbox{ }-\mbox{ }\frac{250\pi w}{\pi^2 w^2}\mbox{ }=\mbox{ }\frac{250}{\pi w}\mbox{ }-\mbox{ }\frac{250}{\pi w}\mbox{ }=\mbox{ }0}\)

I'm not sure what you mean by this being "unusuable"...? Zero is a perfectly valid value for a derivative. Or is this part of some larger problem which wasn't included...?

Thank you.

Eliz.