Determine the perimeter and content

zuz

Hello,
please, I need help with this math problem:

The convex quadrilateral ABCD with the AB side 5 cm long with the BC side 3 cm long and with a BCD angle of 60 degrees is symmetrical according to the diagonal AC. Point E is the fifth perpendicular from vertex B to the AD side and F is the fifth perpendicular from vertex D to the BC side. Determine the perimeter and content of the DEBF rectangle.

Thank you very much! :)

Hello,

The convex quadrilateral ABCD with the AB side 5 cm long with the BC side 3 cm long and with a BCD angle of 60 degrees is symmetrical according to the diagonal AC. Point E is the fifth perpendicular from vertex B to the AD side and F is the fifth perpendicular from vertex D to the BC side. Determine the perimeter and content of the DEBF rectangle.

If I were to solve this problem for my assignment, I would start with sketching quadrilateral ABCD and label all the vertices, sides and angles with the given measurements.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Hello,

I presume "content" is your word for "area"; but I am not familiar with the term "fifth perpendicular". Can you define that?

I initially thought that E would be on AD and F on BC (ignoring the word "fifth"), but then DEBF couldn't be a rectangle.

Please show the exact wording of the problem as given to you (even if it is not in English).

I presume "content" is your word for "area"; but I am not familiar with the term "fifth perpendicular". Can you define that?

I initially thought that E would be on AD and F on BC (ignoring the word "fifth"), but then DEBF couldn't be a rectangle.

Please show the exact wording of the problem as given to you (even if it is not in English).
Hi, sorry, I don’t speak english well.
content = area
perpendicular = two distinct lines intersecting each other at 90°

Hi, sorry, I don’t speak english well.
content = area
perpendicular = two distinct lines intersecting each other at 90°
I know what perpendicular means; but what does fifth refer to here?

You say, "Point E is the fifth perpendicular from vertex B to the AD side"; but E is a point, not a line, so it can't be perpendicular to anything; and lines perpendicular to AD and BC would not be parallel as required for a rectangle. So what does this entire phrase mean?

Again, feel free to show us the original problem, which may give us clues to the meaning. Was there a drawing? Show us!

I have , somehow, drawn a figure ignoring the term Fifth.
P.K.Tandon

I have , somehow, drawn a figure ignoring the term Fifth.
P.K.Tandon
You can do that (as did I), if you also ignore the fact that it calls a point "perpendicular", or replace "fifth" with "foot of the"; but it doesn't produce a rectangle, does it? So I think we also have to retranslate "rectangle" as "quadrilateral".

With so many corrections needed, I really want to see the original before claiming to have an answer!

You can do that (as did I), if you also ignore the fact that it calls a point "perpendicular", or replace "fifth" with "foot of the"; but it doesn't produce a rectangle, does it? So I think we also have to retranslate "rectangle" as "quadrilateral".

With so many corrections needed, I really want to see the original before claiming to have an answer!
Yes. We have to repair the question at many places. If we take up the term symmetrical according to the diagonal AC. Does this mean that whole of the figure is symmetrical about AC ( i.e. it's a kite ) ? If so, the figure can be drawn as follows. 1640442562470.png