Determine whether the series is convergence or divergence?

john458776

\(\displaystyle \sum^\ \frac {k}{e^{k^2}}\)

So I used the Geometric series test to determine whether it converges or diverges.

\(\displaystyle \sum^\ k(\frac {1}{e^1})^{k^2}\)

[MATH]Since [/MATH]
[MATH]r < 1 ==> Converges[/MATH]
The series Converges.

I want to know whether I'm correct or the is something I did wrong. I'm still learning sequences and series.

Thank You.

Last edited:
There is a very special form for a p-series and is your series in that form?

There is a very special form for a p-series and is your series in that form?
Yes I think it's in that form.
an[MATH]=[/MATH][MATH]a[/MATH][MATH]r[/MATH]n-1

But the problem I'm trying to solve it's ak[MATH]=[/MATH][MATH]a[/MATH][MATH]r[/MATH]k2, where [MATH]r=1/[/MATH]e1.

So exactly what is a and r in your case? Is r being raised to the correct power?

So exactly what is a and r in your case? Is r being raised to the correct power?
a is the first term of the sequence, and r is the common ratio. I think r is not raised to the correct power. That's what confused me. I thought that maybe I should use the integral test not the geometric test because of that power.

I did not ask for the meaning of a and r. I asked what is a and r in your problem?

Actually you did that r=1/e. Thank you. You claim that a is the value of the 1st term. Good! Now tell us what that value is. Is the value of the 2nd term as expected?

I suspect that you are assuming that a=k. But k is changing! Your exponent is not increasing by 1 each time k changes.

Summation arn-1 = a + ar + ar2 + ar3+ ar4+ ar5 + ...

While summation krk2 = 1r1 + 2r4+ 3r9+ 4r16+..., where r=1/3.

Sorry, but they do not look similar to me.

The integral test should work.

Lets suppose that the multiple k was a constant, say a.

Then summation a(1/e)k2 would converge by the direct comparison test to the summation a(1/e)k. Note that the series a(1/e)k2 has just some of the terms of a(1/e)k. That is, it was the multiple k that gave you more trouble then the exponent being k2. I hope that you see this.

I suspect that you are assuming that a=k. But k is changing! Your exponent is not increasing by 1 each time k changes.

Summation arn-1 = a + ar + ar2 + ar3+ ar4+ ar5 + ...

While summation krk2 = 1r1 + 2r4+ 3r9+ 4r16+..., where r=1/3.

Sorry, but they do not look similar to me.
Thank you. Now I notice that k is not equal to a. Using the geometric test wont work in this particular problem. K is not constant it will keep on changing in each term.