Did I distributed the subtraction too soon.....

eddy2017

Elite Member
When using Order of Operations to evaluate, we finish simplifying inside a grouping before working outside it. You'd distributed the subtraction too soon, above.
(2+15)-[(15÷3)+(8+5÷2)]
(2+15)-(5)+(8+5/2)

then I tried to rectify it. please, take a look above and tell me if you see something wrong with that.
thanks,
eddy
I know the rule states that we work within brackets and parentheses first and then move on to the other terms...

When using Order of Operations to evaluate, we finish simplifying inside a grouping before working outside it. You'd distributed the subtraction too soon, above.
(2+15)-[(15÷3)+(8+5÷2)]
(2+15)-(5)+(8+5/2)

then I tried to rectify it. please, take a look above and tell me if you see something wrong with that.
thanks,
eddy
Don't understand "You'd distributed the subtraction too soon"

it was an equation I was solving with the help of mmm. he was teaching me about how to use grouping symbols and how to work with them.
here is what i posted and what he commented.
(2+15)-[(15÷3)+(8+5÷2)]
(2+15)-(15/3)-(8+5/2)
He has asked me to go and post it here i in the forum.
my first post is the attempt at rectifying the 'too soon distribution'.

it was an equation I was solving with the help of mmm. he was teaching me about how to use grouping symbols and how to work with them.
here is what i posted and what he commented.

He has asked me to go and post it here i in the forum.
my first post is the attempt at rectifying the 'too soon distribution'.
I've never heard of distributing subtraction. You distribute multiplication over addition/subtraction. In this case it's multiplication by -1: -(a+b) = -a-b