Die probability

Zelda22

A decimal die is tossed three times in order to generate a sequence of three random numbers.

a. Find the probability that the sequence obtained has its numbers in increasing order from left to right; for example, 5-7-8.
b. Find the probability that the sequence obtained has its second number larger than the other two; for example, 3-6-2.

I'm not sure how to solve this.

I tried to write down the numbers that meet those requirements. I know that a die tossed three times has 216 possible outcomes.

a. I got 15 combinations, would the answer should be 15/216 ???
b. I got 55 combinations, would the answer should be 55/216 ???

Can someone explain to me how to solve it, please? Thanks

A decimal die is tossed three times in order to generate a sequence of three random numbers.

a. Find the probability that the sequence obtained has its numbers in increasing order from left to right; for example, 5-7-8.
b. Find the probability that the sequence obtained has its second number larger than the other two; for example, 3-6-2.

I tried to write down the numbers that meet those requirements. I know that a die tossed three times has 216 possible outcomes.

How many faces (with unique numbers) does a decimal die have?

Please list you 15 combinations for part 'a'?

How many faces (with unique numbers) does a decimal die have?

Please list you 15 combinations for part 'a'?
oh, I realized now, it's a decimal die, not a regular die, I need to redo all my numbers, oh boy!, but once I get my answers, should be the numbers of combinations over 1000?

oh, I realized now, it's a decimal die, not a regular die, I need to redo all my numbers, oh boy!, but once I get my answers, should be the numbers of combinations over 1000?
This particular decimal die has number ( 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) no sure if will made any difference.

oh, I realized now, it's a decimal die, no a regular die, I need to redo all my numbers, oh boy!, but once I get my answers, should be the numbers of combinations over 1000?
Hi Zelda,
Does the order of the outcome matter? For example, if I get 8, 5, 7. I can rearrange the number to get increasing orders 5,7,8. Or does it have to come out exactly as 5, 7,8 (no rearrangement allowed)?
:)

Hi Zelda,
Does the order of the outcome matter? For example, if I get 8, 5, 7. I can rearrange the number to get increasing orders 5,7,8. Or does it have to come out exactly as 5, 7,8 (no rearrangement allowed)?
:)
I'm not sure, I think it should be the order you got them.

Have you learned counting with factorial? More specifically, combination and permutation?

Have you learned counting with factorial? More specifically, combination and permutation?
No.
This particular decimal die has number ( 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) no sure if will made any difference.

I was thinking for b. (9x9)+(8x8)+(7x7)+(6x6)+(5x5)+(4x4)+(3x3)+(2x2)+(1x1)=285 , then It would be 285/1000 = 57/200 ???

No, as long as they're unique it doesn't make a difference.
I got an answer by using combination/ permutation. But if you haven't learned them yet, I don't see an efficient solution besides listing them out which is toilsome.

I haven't looked at b) yet.

Last edited:

But if so then there are [imath]10^3=1000[/imath] possible triples.
Assuming that increasing means that each term is greater than the preceeding.
EX: [imath](0,4,7)[/imath] and not [imath](1,1,9)[/imath]
I get [imath]36[/imath] triples that begin [imath](0,X,Y)[/imath] where [imath]0<X<Y\le 9[/imath].
Can you explain that?
[imath][/imath]

Last edited:
well, I'm not sure but starting with the first digit
(0) 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 combinations
(1) 7+6+5+4+3+2+1
(2) 6+5+4+3+2+1
(3) 5+4+3+2+1
(4) 4+3+2+1
(5) 3+2+1
(6) 2+1
(7) 1

I'm not sure if that is correct

Last edited:
well, I'm not sure but starting with the first digit
(0) 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 combinations
(1) 7+6+5+4+3+2+1
(2) 6+5+4+3+2+1
(3) 5+4+3+2+1
(4) 4+3+2+1
(5) 3+2+1
(6) 2+1
(7) 1

I'm not sure if that is correct
The sum matches my answer. [imath]{10 \choose 3}=120[/imath]

I got my answers, but I don't know if are correct, (I wrote all the numbers, I don't know if there is a formula that I could use)

A/ 120/1000=3/25

A/ 285/1000=57/200

Can someone verify my answers, please? Thanks

I got my answers, but I don't know if are correct, (I wrote all the numbers, I don't know if there is a formula that I could use)

A/ 120/1000=3/25

A/ 285/1000=57/200

Your a) matches mine, but b) does not.

Question: in part (b) is it still required that the three numbers be distinct?

A/ 120/1000=3/25

A/ 285/1000=57/200

For b), assuming the 3-digits are distinct, I got
[math]\frac{{2 \choose 1}{10 \choose 3}}{10^3}=\frac{240}{1000}=0.24[/math]

It doesn't say that. So I assumed they aren't.
The question does say, "the other two numbers". which means they are distinct otherwise it is not two.
In that case I agree that the answer is [imath]240[/imath] because in any three digits one is greater that the other two. That is the middle one.
[imath]\dbinom{10}{3}=120[/imath] which we double for symmetry.
Now however, if we are allowed to count [imath](0,X,0)~,~0<X\le9[/imath]
We can use all of the [imath]240[/imath]; but must add [imath]45[/imath] more to it.