Differential Theorem with fractions and negatives

Dalmain

Good day All

I don't have a specific math problem to post but a general question regarding calculations with the binomial theorem that have either a fraction or a negative exponent.

As I understand it if the binomial has a positive integer as the exponent, after expansion there will be that number plus one terms. Example a binomial to the power of 2 has three terms after expansion. Exponent of 6 then seven terms etc. When using n choose k, you stop calculating when n=k.

How many terms are there when the exponent is a fraction or negative?

I realise I have many hole in my maths fundamentals, but I am determined to get this right. Any assistance is always much appreciated.

Good day All

I don't have a specific math problem to post but a general question regarding calculations with the binomial theorem that have either a fraction or a negative exponent.

As I understand it if the binomial has a positive integer as the exponent, after expansion there will be that number plus one terms. Example a binomial to the power of 2 has three terms after expansion. Exponent of 6 then seven terms etc. When using n choose k, you stop calculating when n=k.

I realise I have many hole in my maths fundamentals, but I am determined to get this right. Any assistance is always much appreciated.
Look up Taylor Series. In both cases the series will be infinite.

-Dan

Try that with an example, and see what happens! (You'll find that it never ends ... and you'll see why.)

Often the way to start on a general question is with a specific example; at the least, that gives you some sense of how it works. It's also good when asking questions, as you can point out exactly what you are asking.

I believe that the OP has lost interest.

Standard statement of the binomial theorem.

[math]n \in \mathbb Z \text { and } n \ge 0 \implies (a + b)^n \equiv \left ( \sum_{j=0}^n \dbinom{n}{j} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j \right )\\ \dbinom{n}{j} \equiv \dfrac{n!}{j!*(n-j)!}.[/math]
Although the factorial function itself, and therefore the binomial coefficient) is defined only for non-negative integers, the definition of

[math]n \in \mathbb Z \text { and } x \ne 0 \implies x^{-n} \equiv \left ( \dfrac{1}{x} \right )^n \equiv \dfrac{1}{x^n}[/math]
lets us take care of negative integers with ease.

[math](a + b)^{-n} \equiv \left ( \dfrac{1}{a + b} \right )^n = \dfrac{1}{(a + b)^n} \implies\\ (a + b)^{-n} \equiv 1 \div \left ( \sum_{j=0}^n \dbinom{n}{j} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j \right )[/math]
Things are not so obvious if n is a rational number.

Let’s start here.

[math]n, \ j \in \mathbb Z \text { and } n \ge j \ge 1.\\ j = 1 \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = n = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^1 n + 1 - i \right).\\ j= 3 \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = n(n - 1)(n - 2) = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^2 n + 1 - i \right ). \\ j = n \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = \dfrac{n!}{0!} = n! = \left (\prod_{i=1}^n n + 1 - i \right ).\\ \text {By induction, } \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right ). [/math]
So if we have integers j and n such that

[math]n \ge j \ge 1 \implies (a + b)^n = a^n + \left \{ \sum_{j=1}^n \dfrac{1}{j!} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j * \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right) \right \} [/math]
But

[math] n + 1 - (n + 1) = 0 \implies \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n+ 1 - j \right ) = 0 \text { if } j = n +1 \implies \\ (a + b)^n = a^n + \left ( \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{j!} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j * \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right ) \right \}.[/math]
Now we have no factorials that can possibly be based on a non-negative integer. We can extend to rationals.

I believe that the OP has lost interest.

Standard statement of the binomial theorem.

[math]n \in \mathbb Z \text { and } n \ge 0 \implies (a + b)^n \equiv \left ( \sum_{j=0}^n \dbinom{n}{j} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j \right )\\ \dbinom{n}{j} \equiv \dfrac{n!}{j!*(n-j)!}.[/math]
Although the factorial function itself, and therefore the binomial coefficient) is defined only for non-negative integers, the definition of

[math]n \in \mathbb Z \text { and } x \ne 0 \implies x^{-n} \equiv \left ( \dfrac{1}{x} \right )^n \equiv \dfrac{1}{x^n}[/math]
lets us take care of negative integers with ease.

[math](a + b)^{-n} \equiv \left ( \dfrac{1}{a + b} \right )^n = \dfrac{1}{(a + b)^n} \implies\\ (a + b)^{-n} \equiv 1 \div \left ( \sum_{j=0}^n \dbinom{n}{j} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j \right )[/math]
Things are not so obvious if n is a rational number.

Let’s start here.

[math]n, \ j \in \mathbb Z \text { and } n \ge j \ge 1.\\ j = 1 \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = n = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^1 n + 1 - i \right).\\ j= 3 \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = n(n - 1)(n - 2) = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^2 n + 1 - i \right ). \\ j = n \implies \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = \dfrac{n!}{0!} = n! = \left (\prod_{i=1}^n n + 1 - i \right ).\\ \text {By induction, } \dfrac{n!}{(n - j)!} = \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right ). [/math]
So if we have integers j and n such that

[math]n \ge j \ge 1 \implies (a + b)^n = a^n + \left \{ \sum_{j=1}^n \dfrac{1}{j!} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j * \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right) \right \} [/math]
But

[math] n + 1 - (n + 1) = 0 \implies \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n+ 1 - j \right ) = 0 \text { if } j = n +1 \implies \\ (a + b)^n = a^n + \left ( \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{j!} * a^{(n-j)} * b^j * \left ( \prod_{i=1}^j n + 1 - i \right ) \right \}.[/math]
Now we have no factorials that can possibly be based on a non-negative integer. We can extend to rationals.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have not lost interest, Dr.Peterson and topsquark had answered my question. But again, thank you for your reply.