Discrete uniform distribution question please help give an hint or formula on how to solve this,thanks

oakes

A small construction crew in northwestern Canada is about to start road work on a mining road. The work is not too difficult and it will only take one day. Since this road is in a pretty remote area, not many vehicles drive on it. The amount of daily traffic follows a uniform distribution with daily vehicles ranging from 1 to 15.

(1) Given this discrete uniform distribution, what is the probability that the number of cars stopped by this construction will be 3 or 4?
(2) What is the probability that the construction crew will stop less than 9 cars?

Do you have any idea what a discrete uniform distribution is?

You're told that the traffic is uniform from 1-15 cars. So [MATH]p(k)=constant,~k=1,2,\dots,15[/MATH]The probabilities must sum to 1 so what is the value of the constant?

Given that you should be able to answer the questions.

You're told that the traffic is uniform from 1-15 cars. So [MATH]p(k)=constant,~k=1,2,\dots,15[/MATH]The probabilities must sum to 1 so what is the value of the constant?

I am a newbie to probability, just started with probability a few weeks back, I am self-studying I do not have that strong idea of discrete uniform distribution, I do not know the value of the constant, I try to calculate the probability of p(x) but my total from 1- 15 exceeds 1. This is my confusion, I appreciate your effort thanks

A discrete uniform distribution is basically a finite set of something, doesn't really matter what, each of which has the same probability of occurrence. In this case it's cars driving on the road.

As we know these probabilities must sum to 1 it must be that this probability of occurrence is

[MATH]p = \dfrac{1}{\text{#elements in the set}}[/MATH]
In this case our set is the values 1 through 15, i.e there are 15 of them. So

[MATH]p = \dfrac{1}{15},~\forall k \in \{1, 2, 3, \dots, 15\}[/MATH]
So what's the probability that the number of cars stopped will be 3 or 4? It will be

[MATH]P(3)+P(4) = \dfrac{1}{15}+\dfrac{1}{15} = \dfrac{2}{15}[/MATH]
Now you do part (2)

Thank you, done, i added
A discrete uniform distribution is basically a finite set of something, doesn't really matter what, each of which has the same probability of occurrence. In this case it's cars driving on the road.

As we know these probabilities must sum to 1 it must be that this probability of occurrence is

[MATH]p = \dfrac{1}{\text{#elements in the set}}[/MATH]
In this case our set is the values 1 through 15, i.e there are 15 of them. So

[MATH]p = \dfrac{1}{15},~\forall k \in \{1, 2, 3, \dots, 15\}[/MATH]
So what's the probability that the number of cars stopped will be 3 or 4? It will be

[MATH]P(3)+P(4) = \dfrac{1}{15}+\dfrac{1}{15} = \dfrac{2}{15}[/MATH]
Now you do part (2)
Thank you, Done. I added all the probabilities below 9 1/15*8

A small construction crew in northwestern Canada is about to start road work on a mining road. Benjamin Howard is the operations lead. He believes that the work is not too difficult and it will only take one day. Since this road is in a pretty remote area, not many vehicles drive on it. The amount of daily traffic follows a uniform distribution with daily vehicles ranging from 4 to 12.

Given this discrete uniform distribution, what is the probability that the number of cars stopped by this construction will be 9 or 10?
What is the probability that the construction crew will stop less than 7 cars?

A small construction crew in northwestern Canada is about to start road work on a mining road. Benjamin Howard is the operations lead. He believes that the work is not too difficult and it will only take one day. Since this road is in a pretty remote area, not many vehicles drive on it. The amount of daily traffic follows a uniform distribution with daily vehicles ranging from 4 to 12.

Given this discrete uniform distribution, what is the probability that the number of cars stopped by this construction will be 9 or 10?
What is the probability that the construction crew will stop less than 7 cars?
Please post a new question in a new thread. Do you understand the discussion above?