divide a land between two brother.

abir37

A long time ago two brother lived. after their father died they inherited a small land. the land was 16 feet long.

so they divided it into 2 part. 8 feet (elder brother)+ 8 feet (younger brother) = 16 feet.

now the elder brother said to the younger one "i will take 1.5 feet less". so he gave the younger brother 1.5 feet of land from his own land.

now the elder brother has = 8 - 1.5 = 6.5 feet of land.
and the younger brother has = 8 + 1.5 = 9.5 feet of land.

Problem : 9.5-6.5 = 3 feet of land. the elder brother said he would give 1.5 feet of extra land but when you subtract their land you are getting 3 feet of land difference. now the elder brother is claiming he has given 3 feet of extra land instead of 1.5 (!!!!???) how to save the younger brother ?????

A long time ago two brother lived. after their father died they inherited a small land. the land was 16 feet long.

so they divided it into 2 part. 8 feet (elder brother)+ 8 feet (younger brother) = 16 feet.

now the elder brother said to the younger one "i will take 1.5 feet less". so he gave the younger brother 1.5 feet of land from his own land.

Problem : 9.5-6.5 = 3 feet of land. the elder brother said he would give 1.5 feet of extra land but when you subtract their land you are getting 3 feet of land difference. now the elder brother is claiming he has given 3 feet of extra land instead of 1.5 (!!!!???) how to save the younger brother ?????
Send brothers back to grade school and practice mathematics!

If the "big" brother wanted to have land 1.5 ft. less (lengthwise - but same width) compared to his little brother - the he should have given him a slice of land 0.75' (= 9" ) long.

If the "big" brother wanted to have land 1.5 ft. less (lengthwise - but same width) compared to his little brother - the he should have given him a slice of land 0.75' (= 9" ) long.

you meant, >>>

this is correct ? i'm assuming so.

you meant, >>>

NO .... I meant:

now the elder brother has = 8 - 0.75 = 7.25 feet of land.
and the younger brother has = 8 + 0.75 = 8.75 feet of land.

Now the younger brother has (8.75 - 7.25 =) 1.5 feet longer land.

That's what the big brother wanted!!

you meant, >>>

Of course this is wrong as the difference is 3 feet, not 1.5 feet.
I like to think about these problems as follows: Subtract off the 1.5 feet from the 16 ft leaving 14.5 feet left over. Now divide the 14.5 ft equally between the two brothers. This will give the two brothers 7.25 ft each of land. Now give that remaining 1.5 ft to the younger brother and he will clearly have 1.5 ft more than his older brother.

The question is one of ambiguous grammar, not mathematics! According to the initial post, the big brother said "I will take 1.5 fee less". "1.5 feet less" than what? "1.5 feet less" than what he was originally given? Or "1..5 feet less" than his brother gets?

Plus, I would suggest that you add a simple "s" to the end of "brother."

stop giving an idiotic answer before understanding the question first. the elder brother would give 1.5 feet from his 50%. Let's say AN example with real money. suppose you and I did a job together worth $100 and our mutual understanding was I will get $10 dollar more from the 50%. so 50% of $100 = $50 plus i will get $10 = $60. now you are getting $40 and I am getting $60. now subtract $60-$40 =$20. did you give me $20 or $10?

you meant, >>>

No!

I meant, >>>(repeating response #4)

now the elder brother has = 8 - 0.75 = 7.25 feet of land.
and the younger brother has = 8 + 0.75 = 8.75 feet of land.

stop giving an idiotic answer before understanding the question first. the elder brother would give 1.5 feet from his 50%. Let's say AN example with real money. suppose you and I did a job together worth $100 and our mutual understanding was I will get $10 dollar more from the 50%. so 50% of $100 = $50 plus i will get $10 = $60. now you are getting $40 and I am getting $60. now subtract $60-$40 =$20. did you give me $20 or $10?
You said:

"stop giving an idiotic answer before understanding the question first."​

I suggest:
  1. Be humble when you come to BEG for FREE assistance

2. Your problem statement is ATROCIUS (As evidenced from the statements of other volunteers (e.g. response #5 & 6).