Divide the US into 40 equal parts by population

akijione

Hi,

I am a college student, and I am having a problem with an assignment. How would you take the population of each state, and divide the total of all the states into 40 equal parts, then with that answer, divide all the states into 40 equal parts? We are working on a health care population problem.

On the flip side, same problem but instead of population, total income of each state and divide the total of all states into 40 equal parts, then with that answer divide all the states into 40 equal or close to incomes.

I can't figure out which formula to use.

Thanks

Newbe

Is this what you are asking?

Do you want to find the total population of each state, then find the total population of all states, and then divide this by 40? To do this you need to find the total population of the US, then divide by 40. Sorry if I am mis-interpreting :)

How would you take the population of each state, and divide the total of all the states into 40 equal parts, then with that answer, divide all the states into 40 equal parts?
Please reply with the exact text of, and instructions for, the exercise. Thank you! ;)