Division by zero

DexterOnline

1/0 = ?

All of the calculators I tried and even Excel states that Division by Zero is undefined

Is that a correct statement?

Yes, probably, at this stage of learning mathematics for you.
Upon further investigation, you
will learn
that the result of 1/0 may tend to infinity.

Whoever picked the word "undefined" should be shot at sunrise!
Should be something like "no can do!" or "not allowed".
"Undefined" kinda suggests "we're working on it and will
advise as soon as we agree on a definition" :rolleyes:

My boss Odd asked me to find the price of a consol bond that makes perpetual payments of $1 forever at a yield of 0%.

So yes we're working on it and will advise as soon as you agree with Odd's definition of 1/0 as a price of a consol bond with 0% yield

Yes, probably, at this stage of learning mathematics for you.
Upon further investigation, you
will learn
that the result of 1/0 may tend to infinity.

If a perpetual bond can be sold for a price of Infinity then where in this Universe are we suppose to collect such an money amount to pay the price.

And if there was a way to do so then all an investor had to sell was a consol bond that made 1 dollar payments forever at a yield of 0%

And if we were to put together all of the Universe's money I am afraid in economics sense money does not tend to infinity and its amount is limited based on principles of supply and demand

In truth I did not understand your explanation with price of a consol bond,
Here I agree with Pka.

No, most definitely No!
My boss Odd asked me to find the price of a consol bond that makes perpetual payments of $1 forever at a yield of 0%. So yes we're working on it and will advise as soon as you agree with Odd's definition of 1/0 as a price of a consol bond with 0% yield
If a perpetual bond can be sold for a price of Infinity then where in this Universe are we suppose to collect such an money amount to pay the price.

And if there was a way to do so then all an investor had to sell was a consol bond that made 1 dollar payments forever at a yield of 0%
And if we were to put together all of the Universe's money I am afraid in economics sense money does not tend to infinity and its amount is limited based on principles of supply and demand
@DexterOnline, if I were you, I would stay away from topics that confuse you. You like so many in the soft sciences pretend to understand mathematics. Here you are clearly under the impression that mathematics somehow corresponds to reality. It does not.

Einstein said it best in a 1923 essay, On geometry & mathematics : "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they certain , they do not refer to reality."

Basic arithmetic has only two operations: addition and multiplication. So to divide by zero would require that zero has a multiplicative inverse. It does not; that is a fundamental property of mathematics. Pseudo-mathematicians are not free to change the axioms and still call it mathematics.

Hopefully, my suggestion will save you embarrassment in the future.

Last edited:
@DexterOnline, if I were you, I would stay away from topics that confuse you. You like so many in the soft sciences pretend to understand mathematics.

And all along, I thought Mathematics was more of an art than a science :)

And all along, I thought Mathematics was more of an art than a science :)
Well it is an art. If a painter says that a work is an egg-tempera, and yet he/she has no ability it separate egg-whites, then that is a fake.

Well it is an art. If a painter says that a work is an egg-tempera, and yet he/she has no ability it separate egg-whites, then that is a fake.

You don't happen to teach mathematics at the WCC - Wight Community College. :)

@DexterOnline, if I were you, I would stay away from topics that confuse you. You like so many in the soft sciences pretend to understand mathematics. Here you are clearly under the impression that mathematics somehow corresponds to reality. It does not.

Einstein said it best in a 1923 essay, On geometry & mathematics : "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they certain , they do not refer to reality."

Hopefully, my suggestion will save you embarrassment in the future.

@pka

I would disagree with you and Einstein on his essay.

I am a firm believer in Odd and its only through His divine guidance that I see through darkness.

Please download and preview 7 Books of Odd, Volume I.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvl3aojbfv3xrrr/AAAurm597saRlwFgGMH2Kk3qa?dl=0

There is the original word with 0th amendment and then there are 6 amendments to the Holy word of Odd as revealed to His messenger Abraham Anderson.

Equations or In-equations, mathematics is the last link that shows us a glimpse of after life in a Different World.