Double Inequality

davehogan

file_234581.jpg

In the third line of the above, it shows a change in the "less than symbol (<)" to the "more than symbol (>)" after the first term. I don't understand this. Can anyone explain, please?

Whenever you divide by a negative number, the inequality sign is reversed. Make sure you know this as you will be facing this from now until you are done with math in all math subjects. ;)

Supposing we have something like "3-x>1". This will give us "-4>-x>-2". If I take the minus signs away will I need to change the inequality signs?

Supposing we have something like "3-x>1". This will give us "-4>-x>-2".
How did you get that a double inequality would result from the single original inequality? Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Right! My original query was answered. .............I have just realized that when I change the minus signs to plus, I am dividing or multiplying everything by minus one. And of course that means reversing the inequality symbols. The first answer explained that. Thank you.

Right! My original query was answered. .............I have just realized that when I change the minus signs to plus, I am dividing or multiplying everything by minus one. And of course that means reversing the inequality symbols. The first answer explained that. Thank you.
It would help if you stopped using phrases like "take the minus signs away"!