Earth and Moon, same angular size, at one point. I think I made a mistake...

Erik te Groen

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I just registered.
This is my first post.
I actually have only one question.

Recently I was watching a documentary about the Apollo Lunar program. The astronauts were filming the Earth and the Moon, while on route.
Then a question suddenly popped up... At which point, between the Earth and the Moon, will both bodies have the same angular size ?
I started making some calculations and came up with an answer (see my drawing).
I also made this drawing to have a better visualization. To my surprise, I ended up with two quite different answers. There is quite a large
discrepancy between the two answers.
The drawing - to scale - showed me the exact angle and the point where both bodies have the same angular size.

Therefor I think I made a mistake in my calculations.
But...where, how, what and why? I can't find the mistake.

So... Please help.

Cheers,
Erik.

Attachments

• Earth Moon angular size problem.gif
    Earth Moon angular size problem.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
We can't find your error without seeing your work. Please show your calculations.

Look at the drawing.
Text in black, left bottom part.
Okay, now I've enlarged it enough to read. But you didn't really explain your thinking. And I can't tell what the yellow zone represents.

What you need is something like this (which can be explained in terms of similar triangles):

[MATH]\frac{diam_{earth}}{diam_{moon}} = \frac{dist_{earth}}{dist_{moon}}[/MATH]​

What you did amounts to something like

[MATH]\frac{diam_{earth}}{diam_{moon}} = \frac{dist_{earth}+dist_{moon}}{dist_{moon}}[/MATH]​

That is, your distance from each sphere has to be proportional to its size; you used the total distance between earth and moon. (I think -- you didn't say exactly what each number represents.)

I divided the Earth's diameter by the Moon's diameter and came up with a factor of 3.66 .
I then divided the distance between Earth and Moon by 3.66. So, 384400 km / 3.66 = 105027 km.
I then subtracted that number from the distance (384400 - 105027) and came up with 279373 km.
At that distance from Earth both planets should have the same angular size. But my drawing shows a very different number.
It is significantly closer to the Moon than what the calculation shows.
I tried changing numbers and different ways of calculation, and came up with different distances (yellow area), but never
anything close to point zero, where the drawing says it should be.
I trust the drawing, because it gives a clear visual representation of the situation.

The difference is more than 16,000 km. More than the Earth's and Moon's diameter added up....!

So, I'm confused. Where did I make the mistake?

_______
Erik

I already told you: You are assuming the wrong proportionality. You haven't explained why you think you need to do what you did, so I can't say beyond this where you went wrong in your thinking. Did you try using similar triangles as I suggested?

Here's a different way to say the same thing: The distance from the earth to your point, as a fraction of the distance from earth to moon, is equal to the diameter of the earth as a fraction of the SUM of the diameters.

The latter fraction, using your numbers, is 12754/(12754+3475) = 0.785877; that times 384400 is 302,091. Is that close enough to your 296,000? I'm not sure how you found the latter, and how accurate you think it is.

302000 is close enough.
Actually, using real life numbers, 302000km is the number that popped up, often, in my drawings.
Measured from the Earth's surface, I get ~296000 km.
I now know that my drawing is correct and that my calculations were wrong. I think I now see
where I went wrong.
Thanks for the help.

_______
Erik

I divided the Earth's diameter by the Moon's diameter and came up with a factor of 3.66 .
I then divided the distance between Earth and Moon by 3.66. So, 384400 km / 3.66 = 105027 km.
I then subtracted that number from the distance (384400 - 105027) and came up with 279373 km.

It might help to consider an alternative scenario - what if the two bodies have equal diameter. Let's call them Earth2 and Moon2. Would you...

Divide the Earth2's diameter by the Moon2's diameter and came up with a factor of 1.00.
Then divide the distance between Earth2 and Moon2 by 1.00. So, 384400 km / 1.00 = 384400km.
Then subtract that number from the distance (384400 - 384400km) and came up with 0 km. This is obviously incorrect. This should hopefully help you to see that your method isn't correct.

Let's use one of @Dr.Peterson 's suggestions to get a better answer. This is adapted from post#4...

[MATH]\frac{diam_{Earth2}}{diam_{Moon2}} = \frac{dist_{Earth2}}{dist_{Moon2}}[/MATH]
[MATH]\frac{3,500}{3,500} = 1 = \frac{dist_{Earth2}}{dist_{Moon2}}[/MATH]
But the total distance between Earth2 and Moon2 is 384,400km therefore

[MATH]dist_{Earth2}+dist_{Moon2}=384,400km[/MATH]
[MATH]dist_{Earth2}=384,400km-dist_{Moon2}[/MATH]
Combine the above with the following

[MATH]1 = \frac{dist_{Earth2}}{dist_{Moon2}}[/MATH]
To obtain

[MATH]1 = \frac{384,400km-dist_{Moon2}}{dist_{Moon2}}[/MATH]
[MATH]dist_{Moon2} = 384,400km-dist_{Moon2}[/MATH]
[MATH]2 \times dist_{Moon2} = 384,400km[/MATH]
[MATH]dist_{Moon2} = \frac{384,400km}{2}[/MATH]
...this is what you'd expect, the spacecraft has to be midway between Earth2 and Moon2 for equal angular size.

Thank you, too.

Funny thing is, that I got quite close using the wrong method. Close, but never close enough. That's
why I could not figure it out. I could not figure out where I went wrong.
I should have been able to solve this problem, but I couldn't. After all, it's not rocket science.....

Oh wait...........

;-)
_______
Erik