Equality to solve each Equation: 1/3s+7/9=4/3s

angel716

I am attempting a question: 1/3s+7/9=4/3s

what i did and I just need a second opinion on this:

is i took 4/3+1/3+7/9=12/36

i just looked for the lcd and came up with 36 because each of the bottom figures have 36 in the times table and then added the top
and will attempt to find the lowest form
s=2/3 answer

Re: Equality to solve each Equation

angel716 said:

Please use proper grouping symbols. Is that \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}s+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{4}{3}s\)?.

Or is it: \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3s}+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{4}{3s}\)

is i took 4/3+1/3+7/9=12/36

Nope. It equals 22/9. The LCD is 9. \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{3}\cdot\frac{4}{3}+\frac{3}{3}\cdot\frac{1}{3}+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{12}{9}+\frac{3}{9}+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{22}{9}\)

i just looked for the lcd and came up with 36 because each of the bottom figures have 36 in the times table and then added the top
and will attempt to find the lowest form
s=2/3 answer

No, it is not 2/3. If it is the first case, it is s=7/9. If it is the 2nd case, it is 9/7.

Using the order of operations as our guiding principle 1/3s+7/9=4/3s means \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}s+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{4}{3}s\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{s}{3}+\frac{7}{9}=\frac{4s}{3}\).

One common first step is to multiply both sides of the equation (multiply through) by the least common denominator, which in this case is 9.

angel716 said:
Angel, write such equations this way: s/3 + 7/9 = 4s/3
Now much easier to "see" that LCD is 9 : kapish?

angel716 said:
… I am attempting [to solve this equation for s]: 1/3s+7/9=4/3s …

Denis showed one way to use the keyboard; I'll chime in by showing how to type the two most-likely possibilites using the keyboard and grouping symbols:

(1/3)s + 7/9 = (4/3)s

VERSUS

1/(3s) + 7/9 = 4/(3s)

Which is it, Angel?

mmm4444bot

its the first one but the parenthess are kind of throwing me off i was gonna use that but i thought would mess with it and make it more complicated for me.
denis got it! :) so looking it it was the 9 the whole time but was i correct in the LCD for this equation?

angel716 said:
… the parenthess are kind of throwing me off i was gonna use that but i thought would mess with it and make it more complicated for me …

Is this supposed to be a sentence? I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here. The parentheses are not needed when working using paper and pencil. Grouping symbols are needed when typing mathematical expressions, to avoid ambiguity with respect to the intended order of operations.

Loren told you that the LCD is 9.

Denis told you that the LCD is 9.

Are you still trying to ask whether or not the LCD is 9?

I do not understand your latest question.

no mmm4444bot i understand sorry if i threw it off i understand the LCD is 9 and that I over shot it...sorry again