Equation cordinates

Loki123

In the following equation, determine p so that m=2n (m being the x coordinate of the point of the x axis and n being the y cordinate on y axis).
I got 1, which is correct, but I also need 1/3, how do I get that?
IMG_20220210_100355.jpg

In the following equation, determine p so that m=2n (m being the x coordinate of the point of the x axis and n being the y cordinate on y axis).
I got 1, which is correct, but I also need 1/3, how do I get that?
View attachment 31050
Are you saying that you were told there are two answers, p=1 and p=1/3?

Did you check that answer, by finding the intercepts when p=1/3? You'll find that they are 24 and 6, which are not in the required ratio.

Did you check that answer, by finding the intercepts when p=1/3? You'll find that they are 24 and 6, which are not in the required ratio.
Yes the solution states that p can equal 1 or 1/3.

How do I find those intercepts?

How do I find those intercepts?
You clearly know how to find intercepts; you used one method in solving the problem, didn't you?

But the most straightforward way is to set x to zero and solve for y, and vice versa. If p = 1/3, the equation is 1/3 x + 4/3 y = 8. When y=0, x= ...
Yes the solution states that p can equal 1 or 1/3.
Book answers can be wrong, or misread. What does it say, exactly?

You clearly know how to find intercepts; you used one method in solving the problem, didn't you?

But the most straightforward way is to set x to zero and solve for y, and vice versa. If p = 1/3, the equation is 1/3 x + 4/3 y = 8. When y=0, x= ...

Book answers can be wrong, or misread. What does it say, exactly?
Sorry for responding now. But the problem did state that p=1 and p=1/3. No explanation.

Loki123, in showing your work, your steps must reflect what you are indicating on
for the side commentary and not be ambiguous.

px + (p + 1)y = 8 \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) Divide both sides by 8:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{px}{8} \ + \ \dfrac{(p + 1)y}{8} \ = \ 1\)

Now, you are effectively multiplying the first fraction by its numerator and denominator
by 1/p, and you are multiplying the second fraction by its numerator and denominator
by 1/(p + 1). You must have grouping symbols, as in the following result:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x}{(\tfrac{8}{ \ p \ })} \ + \ \dfrac{y}{(\tfrac{8}{ \ p + 1 \ })}\ = \ 1\)

Last edited: