equation for the translated graph below (Pre-Calc)

reddec85

Just wondering where I got stuck here, looks like my method was correct until the end. I’d ask my teacher but Holiday Break and all that :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Have another think about the points you have as dots on the first graph. They look like they are at (1, 4) and (-1, 4). Is that correct?

Just wondering where I got stuck here, looks like my method was correct until the end. I’d ask my teacher but Holiday Break and all that :)
Have another think about the points you have as dots on the first graph. They look like they are at (1, 4) and (-1, 4). Is that correct?
Pay close attention to the order of operations. The function is [imath]f(x) = 2x^2[/imath], not [imath]f(x) = (2x)^2[/imath]. Do you see the difference?

Pay close attention to the order of operations. The function is [imath]f(x) = 2x^2[/imath], not [imath]f(x) = (2x)^2[/imath]. Do you see the difference?
Ah, I see what I did. I’ve actually made a mistake like this in the past, where I’ve forgotten to do the exponent first. Thanks for your help!

Besides having the incorrect points, your method is correct.
However, there is a muck quicker way:
Reflecting \(\displaystyle y=2x^2\) in the x-axis would give \(\displaystyle y=-2x^2\).
Then moving the graph \(\displaystyle y=-2x^2\) up 5 units would give \(\displaystyle y=-2x^2 + 5\).
{Note: There actually is a mistake in your method. The +k should lead to +5 not -5.}