equidistant set

renegade05

Here is the question:

Show that the set of points equidistant from a circle and a line not passing through the circle is a parabola.

To make everything easier, i know i should let the parabola be symmetric about the y-axis and have the vertex at the origin. I know i should prob define the radius of the circle as r, and make it centered at (r+a, 0) and have a line y=-a.

After defining everything and setting it up like this i am stuck. Need some help.

Thanks!

I'm not entirely convinced this is the most general case.

Anyway, the distance from your line to your circle...

Points in the 2d universe look like this: (x,y)

Distance to the line is simply: y - (-a) = y+a

The distance to the circle is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{(x-0)^{2} + (y-a)^2} - r\)

The rest is algebra.

renegade05 said:
Here is the question:

Show that the set of points equidistant from a circle and a line not passing through the circle is a parabola.

To make everything easier, i know i should let the parabola be symmetric about the y-axis and have the vertex at the origin. I know i should prob define the radius of the circle as r, and make it centered at (r+a, 0) and have a line y=-a.

After defining everything and setting it up like this i am stuck. Need some help.

Thanks!

Distance of a point from a circle does not make sense. Could that be "shortest distance"?

Most general definition of parabola is:

a plane curve generated by a point moving so that its distance from a fixed point is equal to its distance from a fixed line

or

the intersection of a right circular cone with a plane parallel to an element of the cone

It doesn't say anything about shortest distance.

I don't think it matters? I am just looking for the equation of the parabola.

My teacher posted the solution.

The answer is: \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{4(r+a)}x^2\) which is the equation of a parabola.

I think i understand, the algebra is very annoying though, I think i keep making a sign error somewhere.

renegade05 said:
It doesn't say anything about shortest distance.

I don't think it matters? I am just looking for the equation of the parabola.

My teacher posted the solution.

The answer is: \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{4(r+a)}x^2\) which is the equation of a parabola.

I think i understand, the algebra is very annoying though, I think i keep making a sign error somewhere.

So the distance from circle is the shortest distance or the "normal" distance - according to the answer.

Can you show that:

The locii of points whose distance from a fixed point (focus) is equal to its distance from a fixed line(directrix) is a parabola.

It will follow the same "construction".

Take a look at your given solution and take a look at the equation, \(\displaystyle x^{2}=4py\), for a concave up parabola. Where (0,p) is the coordinates of the focus and y=-p is the equation of the directrix line.

What if you solve this for y and let p=r+a?.

Though, you may want to derive \(\displaystyle x^{2}=4py\), which is not too involved.